Upgrading my kit 18-55 Nikkor

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, my first post here!

I have a Nikon D40 together with the standard 18-55mm DX kit lens (non-VR version) as well as a Nikkor AFD 50mm f/1.8 prime lens.

I'm thinking about upgrading the kit lens to something else that will give high/sharp IQ and be a little faster (as I tend to shoot indoors/lowlight quite a bit and the kit lens seems to suffer a bit here).

I'd just like your recomendations as I've only taken up photography as an amateur/hobby kind of thing I can't really justify spending £££'s on lots of expensive kit.

But as I'm looking to replace my 'main' lens looking to spend around £250-£300 new (or used as long as its in v. good condition). As I stated I do indoor shots but tend to prefer the prime but I'd like something more flexible than the prime as a walkabout lens as I take photos at weddings/parties etc, also doing a trek up Snowdonia next month and want to take photos on the trip. I don't think I really need a long telephoto so something in the same ballpark as the 18-55 focal lengths is fine. The cheapest option I gather is just swapping for the VR version to give me an extra stop or two but not sure whether thats worth the effort? Also kind of ruled out the 18-200 as from what I've read from various reviews its not going to give me anything more in my usual focal range (18-55) than the kit already does. The extra reach isnt a big requirement for me.

Can someone also run down Sigma and Tamron mid zoom lens that might just be the ideal? They need to AF on the D40 too...

Thanks!

I've just moved from a Nikon to Canon system, so have had a lot of recent Nikon experience.
I've always been disappointed in some way or other with Sigma and Tamron (less so) on my D200, focus noisy and inaccurate, one sided image softness, etc. - issues you don't want if taking wedding pictures - these have got to be right!
MY cheap solution is to stick with Nikon and go for a NIkon 18/70 f3.5/4.5 lens. Most users find this to an excellent quick focussing and sharp lens for not much outlay. Mine was acceptably sharp at all focal lengths and all apertures - better than my daughter's 18/55mm and wife's 18/55mm vr. It's not a f2.8 lens, but perfectly usable at full aperture in low light. Most of the other Nikon kit lenses are f5.6 at the long end, might be a bit dark in low light, no real advantage over what you have already.

Keep the kit lens as it a good un, I love using the 18-55mm

What your better of doing is buying yourself a SB400 flash for around £80 & the Nikon 35mm F1.8G for your low light stuff when not using the flash

This combo will cost less than either a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8.

The thing about the D40 is the lens you can buy for it are quite restricted as the lens needs to have the SWM if it does not you have to focus manually
When I had my D40 I got the sigma 17-70 which I had to manually focus but this did not bother me as I do mostly landscape stuff.The 17-70 is 2.8 at the 17mm end and I rate it as quite a good lens for the money

If you want low light performance I'd plump for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8; if you just want improved performance and are not that fussed about 'fast/low-light' lenses then the 18-70mm is a good option. I've owned both btw.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looking at 16-85 prices -at over £400 new I think its out of my price range. The Sigma and Tamron I may be able to stretch too but I'l have to think about it - I'm not a pro photography so unsure to spend this much to replace a reasonable (except in low light) glass. So at this moment I'm sticking with the kit but got my eye open for any used 18-70 or the above mentioned Sigma/Tamron lens.

Oh and I was planning on getting a basic speedlight anyway.

Thanks all, I know the 3 lens I need to look out for now! :)

Back