Upgrading my PC, a few pointers please!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
OK. My old 1.7 celeron pc needs an upgrade, its getting too slooowww and the memory is older than my gran!

I did think about just saying sod it and buying a new system, but with a nipper due to be here in february I was hoping to save a few quid (and get more for my money) and salvage some bits out of my old pc, including;

GeForce 6200 AGP 8X 256 MB Gfx card
Samsung 80gb internal hdd
Seagate 320gb external hdd
Sony 19" lcd monitor
Philips DVD+-RW
Soundblaster Audigy sound card and a few other bits.

So really, i am just looking at upgrading the mobo, cpu, memory, psu and case and was considering the following;

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 (Socket 775) CPU
2048GB Corsair Twinx XMS2 DDR2 Ram

Now is were i am stuck. I'm not really sure which motherboard to get (haven't a clue to be honest) and don't want to spend a fortune on one. I won't be doing any overclocking or serious gaming on it or anything. Im also unsure about a power supply, would a 500W be best?

I know i'm asking a lot, but any advise would be greatly appreciated :love:

All of the old parts you mentioned can be carried across, however AGP graphics cards are horribly outdated now and you will probably struggle a little to find an AGP motherboard. Might be wise to save a few more pennies and get a PCI-E card and motherboard as it will give you so many more choices.

As to motherboard choice you won't go far wrong with Asus, Abit or Gigabyte. I much prefer Intel based chipsets over anything else (nForce or VIA) as the stability is very much compromised on those (in my experience)

With regards to the PSU - it is far better to invest in a lower wattage rated quality component than an el-cheapo 2000w jobbie. I have had great results with Zalman and Enermax - the Zalman's are just about silent if noise is an issue for you

Back