Upgrading to a new Nikon DSLR - Advice Please (Anything from D3100 > D7000)

That surprises me a bit william. I'm no maestro meself, but manual focusing is not that difficult. If you shoot in zoos at all, no matter how fancy the gear, you're going to need to manual focus past the wire fences. At short focal length, it's no sweat at all.

My apologies if I've misunderstood.

Good shooting with your D90, never had one but was always a bit envious when I had the D200.

It probably is easier than I make out. But on my D40, I found it really difficult. Perhaps because the viewfinder is smaller? I could get sharp shots, but not like I did with autofocus. Maybe I will investigate more when I get my D90. But again, im rarely unsatisfied with AF results, and if I am I simply retake.

Also, (dumb comment) with fences, why is this an issue? surely you just focus through the gaps, or lock it on an AF point beyond the foreground fence? Never found this an issue and I did this quite a bit when watching friends play tennis with my D40.

Hi William. This will be my first DSLR, I am looking for something that can challenge me a bit, been involved with cameras and had trials with DSLR's when working for Sony (well, SLT's). I am now looking to get cracking with some serious photography. I shoot a range of things, such as landscape, portrait and macro... So quite an array!

Hi William. This will be my first DSLR, I am looking for something that can challenge me a bit, been involved with cameras and had trials with DSLR's when working for Sony (well, SLT's). I am now looking to get cracking with some serious photography. I shoot a range of things, such as landscape, portrait and macro... So quite an array!

Well, if you know what you are doing, which it sounds like you do, then the D90 sounds like a good buy. I wouldn't have liked this as my first SLR because when I got my D40, I really just wanted it for point and shoot stuff. Now, I'm looking to get into the nitty gritty of photography, with new lenses, more control and techniques etc. There is no doubt the D90 offers more of this than lower models.

So really, I think first the most important thing to do is decide if you want a consumer model (D3xxx > D5xxx) or prosumer (D90 + D7K). Once you've decided this, you can decide which model within this. Because (as I see it), the D5100 and D90 are totally different beasts, aimed at different markets and different users.

Thanks for the insight, I've also been considering the Sony a65.. Mainly due to the control layout being something I am very used to. Either that or an a77.. There are 3-4 models I am currently considering, frustrating because when I drop one from the list, another pops on to it!

Thanks for the insight, I've also been considering the Sony a65.. Mainly due to the control layout being something I am very used to. Either that or an a77.. There are 3-4 models I am currently considering, frustrating because when I drop one from the list, another pops on to it!

I know I am bias, but personally don't find the sony range as nice. Everything from the menus, control layout and even things like the shutter release just aren't as nice to me.

Shutter release I think is very significant. Tried a mates canon the other day and hated it, it was such a cheap, electronic sounding shutter. Same with the Sony. The D90 on the other hand is a nice meaty mechanical click. Sounds like a gun :naughty: The noise alone makes me want to shoot more.

Also, just because you are used to something, that doesn't make it the best. You would get used to a new button / menu layout soon enough (and possibly even prefer it).

Finally, have you tried the Nikon range in store. I spent ages (theoretically) thinking it all through, but I only found I could really narrow my thoughts once I'd been in store and tried and physically held each with lenses I would use.

Yeah I have had a play with both the Nikon D7000 and the two Sony camera's.. Still undecided! I feel this could take a long time to decide!

Yeah I have had a play with both the Nikon D7000 and the two Sony camera's.. Still undecided! I feel this could take a long time to decide!

So it should. It took me 2 months to think this through and decide.

Not only is it an expensive decision, but i've always said that being comfortable with the feel and use of a camera is the most important thing, which will ultimately result in better pictures. :shrug: :help:

There should be no rush, take your time, think about what you need, seek advice, try cameras and lenses and then part with your hard earned monnies :LOL::wave:

Thanks William, I do intend on taking as long as it takes. Maybe by the time I am ready, the D7000 etc will be a little cheaper.

Can't wait to get started, but must be sensible and not just buy something for being impatient!

Thanks William, I do intend on taking as long as it takes. Maybe by the time I am ready, the D7000 etc will be a little cheaper.

Can't wait to get started, but must be sensible and not just buy something for being impatient!

Based on my experience so far:

IQ (resolution, low light performance, colour fidelity) - D7000/D5100 > D90/5000/3100. The 16MP sensor is that much better than the 12 and 14MP sensors.

AF - D7000 > D90/5100/5000/3100. All the other models have the 11pt AF system, and it is identical between the bodies. The 39pt AF in the D7000 is very, very nice.

Controls - D7000 > D90 > D5100/5000/3100 although the difference is easily worked around.

Value for money in a pure utility/price comparison: D3100/5100>5000>90>7000, if you don't need the extra AF/non CPU lens registration/FPS.

Lenses have made much more of a difference to me than the body. I can get around bad AF, I can't get around not having the right FL or insufficient light.

If you are considering other brands have a go with a K-5. Other than the sophistication of the AF system of the D7K the K-5 beats the Nikon on every other aspect and it has features that the D7K does not (in body IS and weather sealing). It is also considerably cheaper especially now with the cash back offer going on.

Moved from a D7K to one and I wouldn't go back to be honest, lovely lenses, great body and if the K-30 pictures are anything to go by is getting some rather good company on the Pentax lineup.

Thanks guys, I think I am going to sit tight and save for another month or so and hopefully the D7000 will be coming down in price soon enough. Well, I can hope.

From working at Sony, I know that after a cash back offer finishes, there is usually a price reposition.

Also, (dumb comment) with fences, why is this an issue? surely you just focus through the gaps, or lock it on an AF point beyond the foreground fence? Never found this an issue and I did this quite a bit when watching friends play tennis with my D40.

I suppose it depends on the fence, and where it is relative to shooter and subject. If it works for you, then good luck.

Have to admit I don't know the 50mm 1.4 you're talking about. Might have a horrible narrow focusing ring. No doubt you'll be trying all things on the D90; sounds like a big step up from the D40 (in spite of KR's praise of the latter).

P.S.
And allowing your friends to play tennis with your D40 might have had something to do with your dissatisfaction (he he).

Last edited:
Back