Uplighting experiments

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Following on from my investigations into hard light sources...
It's often said that uplighting aka monster or horror lighting for portraits should be avoided. There's nothing like telling me not to do something to make me want to try it and it's definitely something I'm going to explore further. I'd love to see other examples of similar lighting; feel free to add yours to this thread.

On reflection I now think these are way over processed but the model loves them as they are so I'm going to leave them. They're probably also a bit over-posed.

Jada Rose I
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Jada Rose III
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

I don't have a pullback but the lighting was a horizontal gridded strip above & behind pointing downwards, a gridded & snooted light on the floor pointing upwards at the face at about 45 degrees - augmented by a large silver Sunbounce reflector on the floor below and angled up.

It's been pointed out to me that all my subjects seem to be female - it's not quite true but I do find it very difficult to find suitable men. I'm hoping that will change in the near future.

Last edited:
These are awesome, Simon. I think you really nailed the lighting on these. Top job!

The lighting really works in this set, and doesn't look too "Monster" or "horror" with the model.

Certainly a different look that I do like, and I wouldn't be afraid to try having seen your results.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Works for me too Simon, I think you're being too hard on yourself fella!

Les ;)

Really? Not when it's behind the subject, surely?
Bad attempt at a joke...
Point is, regardless of what we call it, it's only the results that matter. And you did well.

But just because the light is low, that doesn't make it "monster lighting." In fact, I would barely qualify the second image as "up lighting"... it's nearly frontal.

Back