uprating film

Name
niki
Edit My Images
Yes
i have a project to do,which is a portrait at night using available light.iv decided to do it outdoors of some teens under street lights.Im using a 400iso film.I understand its not one of the faster films to use at night,but i have no choice.I have a tripod and the cable release for the camera.What should i uprate it to and would i still need to uprate using the b mode(bulb).also for the longer exposures on the b mode what kind of second range are we talking,i understand if i did uprate the film then id need to push the film also in the devolping stage.The street lights outside are recently new and a different kind of light to the older yellow ones used..would this make a difference.any help or advice would be very much appreciated
x

its also a b/w film

you should be able to push iso 400 film to 1600 quite easily, this would let you increase your shutter speed by 2 stops, you would need to compensate for this in development by adding 75% onto the developing time (assuming you are using something like DD-X, ID-11 or D-76) this will give you a contrasty shot with a bit more grain, but there isnt a great deal else you can do

Hope this was of some help

You using colour film? The new Portra pushes amazingly, might be worth a look.

For the bulb mode, you'd need to take into account reciprocity. Without knowing specifically what film you're using it's very difficult to say, but it's something you'll need to be aware of. If you're pushing the film as well it'd be wise to shoot a test roll to try and gauge what kind of timings you'll need.

thanks for the replies..a great help.its a project for college so we can only use what were allowed to,or fail.imtrying to get a similar effect of tobias zielonys work,which is of youths on streets from his book story no story.yes will be using ID-11 to devolop.trying out my test shoot tonight..8pm got the kids booked lol! its a tricky project more so than expected.
thanks alot guys
x

Back