uPVC doors

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm stuck with this and wondering if anyone can help. My front door is a double uPVC type but there's a small piece missing at the bottom centre. There a hole in the centre base of the frame which I'm guessing is where the missing piece screws into rather than being attached to the doors.

But for the life of me I don't know what this piece is called or find anywhere which supplies a replacement part!

Does anyone know?

Could it be one of these?

DSC_5732_zps1f21a5a9.jpg

I'm stuck with this and wondering if anyone can help. My front door is a double uPVC type but there's a small piece missing at the bottom centre. There a hole in the centre base of the frame which I'm guessing is where the missing piece screws into rather than being attached to the doors.

But for the life of me I don't know what this piece is called or find anywhere which supplies a replacement part!

Does anyone know?

Graham, your local DG firm should supply ironmongery for uPVC.

I think it will be a white plastic piece which screws into the bottom frame in the middle where the two doors join. At the moment there's a square hole about the size of a cigarette packet letting in the freezing wind and also providing a nice entry point for a crowbar! lol

I should have been more clear and said the hole is between the two doors at the very bottom and not in the frame itself. The long strip running down one of the doors which overlaps the other door (where they join) doesn't appear to be long enough at the bottom and there's a space for something square-ish to be there, but there's definitely a screw point in the base of the frame so I don't think it's a case of the strip not being long enough.

I've got a feeling whatever was there has been kicked off by accident or something, it would seem more logical for the strip to go the full height of the door, although the gap is handy for cables to go through for when doing the front garden.

I'll get a photo!

Excuse the dirt, weather has been crap!

2109.jpg

387.jpg

1191.jpg

Is there anything stuck on the top that looks similar? Just to clarify, is that a pair of doors and the plastic bit (with the hole) is fixed to one of the doors ?

Edit- sorry, just reread your post ;@)

Last edited:
Doors already stop against the frame and they are front doors. I think it may just be cosmetic but I would still like to fix it. On this daft iPad so will check this all better when on a computer. Cheers all

Graham. take your photo to a DG firm.

Just sent emailed pic to my son, he has his own DG business and fits the upvc doors too, will post back when I hear from him

I'm told it looks like a set of open inwards double doors. The part that looks like is missing is the centre (fly) mullion bottom end cap. Unfortunatley you would need to find out what make the doors are as the parts are not all the same. If there are any names on the plastic anywhere you could search online for the parts. Hope that helps

Ah, cool many thanks. It was CR Smith that did them, was done before we bought the house. Looking at correspondence from the previous owners there were a stack of things not done right when the windows and doors were put in. We've had them out four times already just to fix the window seals as when it's windy it's like being on the top of a mountain. They are only three years old, doesn't seem right.

Anyway, will dig out the paperwork as I'm sure the make will be on it. Probably isn't a warranty job as it looks like it's from damage.

Cheers
G

I've gone through all the paperwork and nowhere does it say what exact model they are! Arrrgh. I think they are Lorimer French Doors.

CRSmith seems to cover the Lorimer range http://www.crsmith.co.uk/doors/french-doors give them a tinkle you might get lucky.

You've got to be kidding me?!!! lol

I had to wait five months to get them out just out to fix the seals on just one set of windows (took them four attempts at coming out). Then there's another window, plus a downstairs window and now the front door (although that's not their fault). I'm no expert with double glazing but surely seals should last longer than three years?

I was at B&Q and there was a CR Smith rep doing a promo stand who grabbed me to try and punt windows. I let her know the situation and she promised to pass on my details/problems and that someone would be in touch to get things sorted.

That was three weeks ago and guess what? Yep, you guesssed it. The previous owner of the house was a conveyancing solicitor so God knows what he was thinking using CR bloody Smith.

The mullion has been cut far too short, hope its not like that at the top too. There should an end cap that is level with the inside of the door frame. You should be able to get end caps for it from any decent dg company.

Last edited:
Trading standards time if they don't get off their backside and start to fix the problems. Also it might be worth emailing B & Q's head office to mention if they are promoting a product in store that doesn't have the requisite customer service and quality to back it up it will reflect badly on the B & Q brand so they may wish to think about who they allow to promote their products within store.

The mullion has been cut far too short, hope its not like that at the top too. There should an end cap that is level with the inside of the door frame. You should be able to get end caps for it from any decent dg company.

Cheers. The top looks flush so I think I'll call them to come out. The door doesn't close smoothly either and it strikes one of those metal bits that the hooks go into (when locking it). At first I though I could just adjust the metal bit but it didn't work and I then noticed that the alignment of one of the doors is slightly off - poor fitting me thinks.

Cheers. The top looks flush so I think I'll call them to come out. The door doesn't close smoothly either and it strikes one of those metal bits that the hooks go into (when locking it). At first I though I could just adjust the metal bit but it didn't work and I then noticed that the alignment of one of the doors is slightly off - poor fitting me thinks.

I used to fabricate windows doors and the likes and also done call outs for repairs for all sorts(CR Smith were the main repair call outs it has to be said) , so do have a liitle bit of knowledge on this subject. If they do come out and agree to sort it, make sure they fit a new mullion and not just lower the fitted one.

With the hooks catching, it is usually the door has dropped over time, you can adjust this with an allen key on the hinges, open the door and adjust the top hindge one way and the lower hinge the other way, do one half turn on both hinges untill it locks smoothly.

Good luck getting this sorted(y)

Nice one, I'll give that a shot regarding the door thing. I've got them coming out in two weeks, I have to admit that I always expect them to be arsey when coming out of warranty work but they are always very friendly on the phone and don't give any problems with getting someone out. Let's hope they sort it right! :)

With the hooks catching, it is usually the door has dropped over time, you can adjust this with an allen key on the hinges, open the door and adjust the top hindge one way and the lower hinge the other way, do one half turn on both hinges untill it locks smoothly.

Good luck getting this sorted(y)

Had a go at this but all that happens is the doors go straight up or down with no sideways movement at all from any combination. I reckon I'll just let them deal with it when they come out! :)

Back