Urban peregrines?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, any city folks able to recommend a place with well-established and reliably findable urban peregrine falcons? Got some things I want to try, but I'm nowhere near a city, so I'm hoping there's somewhere I can arrange a short trip to with reasonably good chances of getting the opportunities I'm after.

There are usually some in Exeter and they can be observed (and photographed) from a car park nearby.

Googling 'Peregrine nestcams' and you'll find a few that might give you a start. What the possibilities are for photos you'll have to find out for yourself.

ETA You might stand more chance of action when the chicks hatch and food is being brought regularly.

Last edited:
The nests are always at a certain height far above ground level - natively round here, on crags & cliffs. As an urban equivalent, a nest platform that I've seen was provided on the spire of Norwich Cathedral - a pretty lofty place. If you planned on disturbing a nest site anywhere with a drone, you'd be breaking the law.

They are of course very handsome, but they're a long way from being poultry & their presence is best felt in flight, if not standing on prey whilst plucking & feeding. The bird in a stoop, it's alleged, can reach 200mph. Eye focus, anyone? Good hunting!

Hey guys, any city folks able to recommend a place with well-established and reliably findable urban peregrine falcons? Got some things I want to try, but I'm nowhere near a city, so I'm hoping there's somewhere I can arrange a short trip to with reasonably good chances of getting the opportunities I'm after.
where about in the country are you
what is it your trying to achieve

where about in the country are you
what is it your trying to achieve

I'm in North Wales, but I don't mind traveling farther afield for better photo ops. Got a few things in mind, mainly to do with framing against the urban landscape... would love to catch them hunting within city areas, for example. Challenge myself to some panning shots, maybe. I suppose ideally it'd be great if there were somewhere with accessible high rise areas to get nearer their level. Not interested in bothering them at the nest, if that's a worry - more looking to see them out on the town.

Plus I kind of just want to see one, I guess. They're such impressive birds.

Best time is june when the young fledge and the adults teach them to hunt Also the run up to them fledging ss the adults are bringing food back ,Can be spectacular. Theres lots around around the country just a case of finding the nearest to you, facebook and twitter is a good place to look dont know of any in wales . Peregrines got me back into photography over covid , and i got a bit obsessed with them . Malham cove is spectacular as you are above them and the young fly strait at you not urban though. I have a pair 500yds from where i live but unfortunatly they dont breed

Last edited:
Here's an option if you fancy a really long drive :p

Would suggest Cambridge University Library where I work, but that makes St Albans seem close compared to Wales....

Until the young hatch you could be in for a lot of waiting around. They tend to stay very low profile until then to avoid attracting attention to themselves. Of course if you're at a known urban location they will already be known but all the same its probably best to wait as others have suggested.

Peregrines - the most handsome birds in the world....

Belper is meant to be quite good https://www.flickr.com/groups/14879338@N21/ I have not been there. I assume you would want to drive and I guess parking would be easier there than other cities

For me that would be a better place any advice?
Cambridge actually has several places to see Peregrines fairly easily.
Cambridge University Library's 157 ft tall tower is a favourite spot, especially once the young fledge. You can stand in the front car park which runs between West Road & Burrells Walk, the staff are used to people with large lenses standing there and there even some seats!
The other main spot is Cambridge University Press' old building the Pitt Building on the corner of Silver Street and Trumpington Street. The young have a habit of failing to fly successfully from the Pitt Building and the maintenance staff at next door Peterhouse college regularly gather them up in pre prepared boxes and take them up a ladder to the highest accessible spot of the college, which often attracts a crowd of watchers ( to the best of my knowledge no young bird has ever been killed)
There also regular sightings of birds on the chapel of Kings College.
There's a helpful Facebook page on sightings, nesting news etc.

Back