Urgent Advice Needed – Pub Shoot Tonight!

Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve just been asked to stand in for the official photographer to shoot a few photos for the company website at an awards presentation in a London pub tonight. I only had time to grab a few bits this morning when I got the text so I’ll just have to make do. This is all I have with me...

D300+Grip
SB800 Flash
17-55 F2.8
Small A5 sized fold up soft box for flash

Problem is, I am ABSOLUTELY useless with the flash and usually try to avoid using it at weddings, birthdays etc but pubs are usually poorly lit and space is usually quite limited so I will probably have to use it. The last thing I want is overexposed faces with dark backgrounds. I normally try to avoid this with bounce flash but this can be a bit hit and miss as it depends on what the ceiling is like.

I urgently need some advice on shooting in these situations, particularly on using the SB800 flash. I will try to shoot without the flash first but it’s unlikely to work as I think I will have to stop down to F4 or so to get some detail in the shots.

Also, some ideas on composing the shots of the award winners would be good. I don’t want to shoot bland square-on shots but not sure how I can make it a bit more appealing.

Back