Urgent advice needed..I might get eaten!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, here's the story.
I managed to negotiate myself a week all to myself in the highlands starting from 30th July. Unfortunatley to do this I had to pay for the families Carribbean Cruise at the same time, scuppers any thoughts of a 5D11 and 24-70 for the next few years!

Anyway. If I am staying in Hotels I need to book real quick to be sure of a room. But, I rather fancy camping. Not done it since 1990 when I graduated. That was also in the highlands and it was magical.

However!! I am highly attractive to anything with 6 legs and bites. I would want to to stay near Ullapool, Torridon or Skye. Am I being stupid even thinking about camping?

Your not being stupid, it's stunning countryside, but you might get eaten alive by midges. I seem to be immune after 30 odd years of exposure to African mosquitoes but a lot of people dread them. There were some tips on repellents on a thread recently, and someone is bound to remember what was recommended.

One other thought. Camping is great in good weather, not so great when it's raining, and this is Scotland....................Have a Plan B?

Thanks for reply. I haven't been camping for a long time but I used to go a lot. I like the sound of rain on a tent (yes I know it's odd) and I would invest in a good one.

I have been browsing and there are some nice tents that look midge repellent (hmmm) and smidge looks a good product. Thinking if I get the tent I can actually do some real island hopping which I have never done before.

God has not designed a tent which will keep the dreaded 'midge' at bay

however...i flyfish ..the only effective one for me is 'AVON' 'skin-so-soft'

of course sleeping in the car is a last resort...:D

also there is a 'natural' repellant [ herbal..?] which you can spray all over the midge net in the tent doorway as well

Last edited:
Personaly hire a cottage make sure you have all the windows shut when the lights are one at night and when you switch them of you can open the windows. Then they don't come in.

In a week we head to mull for a week then north west on the mainland for another week.

Could not do the camping thing lol

When I camped in Torridon the midgies saw Avon Skin So Soft as an appetiser - It done nothing up there. I always carry Jungle Formula anyway but don't particularly want to use it as DEET can allegedly melt plastics so could destroy expensive tents and clothing. I had to use it but was careful with the application of it.

I always try and take a top with sleeves, a collar and definately a midgie head net. If wild camping an area a bit exposed would always be better - the wind is a benefit in midgie-land.

Andy

Avon skin so soft works for me, though others swear it is useless.

It is not as long lasting as DEET based products, but unlike DEET it does not melt plastic or numb your lips.

If you are going to Ullapool then there is a campsite in the town. I haven't used it, so can't comment, but I walked through it in April and it looked OK. About 8 miles north of Ullapool is this one - http://www.ardmair.com/caravan.html - which is excellent.

Dave

Have you considered youth hostels instead of camping? All three of those locations are well served.....

Find someone else who the midgies like more and take them with you. My Dad's mate is great they love him.

August is the worst time of the year for midgies up here, and nothing will prepare you for how bad they can be...trust me :eek:
Sometimes smidge etc works but often it doesnt.
At the very least get a midge jacket.

If its windy or sunny then you wont see them, but dull calm days are a living nightmare, especially near rivers etc.

Oh and then there's the ticks to think about as well :cautious:

Skin so soft is definitely the favourite among those in the know however someone told me recently that they have changed the formula and it is now not effective against the midges. I'm just back from Mull and watching Harriers and Short Eared Owls in the evenings was quite uncomfortable because of the midges

Neil

Thanks for useful replies.
Yes, I know Scotland very well and the fearsome Midgie it's just that for the last 20 years I have been in B&B's or Hotels. But I absolutely have my heart set on camping. I've had a really stressful last 8 months and want to do something totally unlike my recent life. Can you believe i have turned down 2 weeks in the Carribean to do this!!

Dedication.

One tip i was given recently was dont wear a hat the midges are attracted to co2 in your breath and the hat stops it spreading not sure if its true but could explained why the hat wearer all seemed to have a line of bites just under the peak of there cap.

Take a midge hood and some lightweight cotton gloves as well. They might just save your sanity. We've been to Scotland quite few times in the summer and the trick is to camp as close to the coast as you can get. As Marie says, the breeze keeps them down. We've also used Josticks when camping and these can deter them from the inside of the tent. Just make sure you don't set fire to your tent ! :LOL: Yes, the ticks are up and about already this year so think twice about wildcamping. You're less likely to pick them up on a site. There's a good site at Ardmair but it's very popular. A small site at Badrallach which is in a lovely quiet spot but gets the midge badly.

Only tried camping on the west coast many years ago and had to give up and go to a B&B because of midges despite spraying the tent etc.

Definately have a plan B but do have fun and enjoy your week.

Go to asda or health food shop and get some thiamine (vitamin B12) start taking them now, works best if you start a month before your trip. Also if you can stand the stuff marmite is also supposed to help, dont rub it on, eat it ;-)

I usually get eaten alive but used these and sat the other day in a haze of midgies waiting for a pinemarten to come get a jam sandwich. I got one bite from a bloody cob but the midgies left me alone.

Oh and the pinemarten came but I didn't get a good shot, I did get a good one later but it was through a dg window at night but well chuffed :)

What do you mean, you turned down a holiday in the Caribbean to go to Scotland?

There is no contest - Scotland every time.

Hope you have a great time.

Dave

OK, here's the story.
I managed to negotiate myself a week all to myself in the highlands starting from 30th July. Unfortunatley to do this I had to pay for the families Carribbean Cruise at the same time, scuppers any thoughts of a 5D11 and 24-70 for the next few years!

Anyway. If I am staying in Hotels I need to book real quick to be sure of a room. But, I rather fancy camping. Not done it since 1990 when I graduated. That was also in the highlands and it was magical.

However!! I am highly attractive to anything with 6 legs and bites. I would want to to stay near Ullapool, Torridon or Skye. Am I being stupid even thinking about camping?

Midges - for your sake, Phil, I hope you get a breezy week. There is no exaggerating how bad these pests can be.

I say play it by ear and see how it goes. I'll be in the Cairngorms at the same time (although in the family cottage). Myself and the wife went camping in Skye/Mull etc in August last year and it wasnt too bad 9although it was nice to get to her uncle's boat house on lake Torridon!!

I know what you mean though, sometimes its great to be living under a thin layer of plastic and hearing the world around!

When we camped up by Loch Ness, we found we were pretty safe when actually in the tent. The problem came when having to venture outside to do things like cooking. We ended up eating out every night, and having stuff you could eat cold for brekkie!

I'd always assumed people were exaggerating about how bad they were, but it's all true I'm afraid :(

I don't seem to be as affected by the midges as some, but they can still bring misery. My worst memories are of lying in my tent, watching the black mass moving over the outer skin, wrapped in sleeping bag because some always come in through the flap with you. And that was me for the night - at 6.30pm! In the morning speed is of the essence, rip the tent out of ground, crush it into the boot anyway you can, then drive 5 miles at high speed with the windows open to suck them out. After that you can start to think about washing and breakfast.

Don't want to put you off though. I also remember opening the tent flaps one morning at Ardmair and watching the Stornaway ferry heading off through a wonderful blue loch. Makes it all worthwhile.

I agree with jerry about giving the independant hostels a look, even if it's just for a couple of nights in the week.

Last edited:
LOL, Duncan. Sounds familiar.

As you and a few other have mentioned there is little to compare to midges when several million pop in for dinner.

I'm lucky enough to be in NW Scotland now and being on the coast and it is fairly breezy so midges are not a problem, but I was in Inverewe Gardens yesterday and every gardener I saw was wearing a midges shirt - all it needs is the smallest shelter from the wind and they will appear.

Anyway Phil, it will all be worth any discomfort.

Dave

Well I got my tent delivered today. Vango Icarus 300 so completely sealed on sleeping and cooking area with midge nets on openings.

I think I'll be stocking up on smidge and probably go for a thiamine patch. Hopefully keep some of the little buggers at bay!

Oh dear god!!! I didn't even think/know about the midges!! I walked down to pond a few weeks ago and came away looking like a pin cushion... I'm heading up to loch ness on the 25th we are staying at a camp site right on the banks and I'm going to be kipping in a caravan awning with just a sleeping bag?!?!?!? I thought it was just the cold I was going to have to brave!!!??!!!

I don't want to miss out on the photography op, but I am to the midges like Osama bin laden was to the yanks and we all know how that ended!!

Skin so Soft but make sure you get the correct one as Avon did 2 and one is useless( think its in the pink container ) where the blue works a treat.

Definitely(y)

I guess I've been reasonably lucky up on the Isle of Skye on my bi-annual trips for the last 8 years - then again I've always stuck to costal areas, where breezes seem to keep the worst of the midges at bay. (I usually get absolutely nailed by them, even back here in Durham/Yorkshire!) I've heard some horror stories, but somehow always missed out on the worst. :clap:

Get a head/midge net - I've only had to use one once, but it certainly saved my bacon!

Get in the tent with a tin of fly spray and blast away for a few seconds and the midges inside die ! = decent nights sleep.
The Avon product "skin so soft" works as a midge repellant for me, you can spray it on your neck and face without fear of getting it in your eyes, its just a moisturiser , who knows how it works but it does and lot of people swear by it....also it is a cheap alternative about £1.50 for a 200ml bottle. In the past Ive spent a fortune on several 25ml bottles of deet and it didnt work as good as Avon.
Another advantage is you will grow older with lovely soft skin ! :LOL:

Up in Scotland and sitting in a bar in Mallaig.

4 days in Ullapool. Spray on Smidge and not a bite.

2 days in Skye, Sligachan campsite. That was enough!! I have never seen midges like it. The locals were saying they couldn't remeber it so bad. On the 2nd day the campsite looked like the end of a battle when the defeated army was packing up to go home. Everyone in a tent was packing and running. I went to the sinks to brush teeth before I went and it looked like somone had sprinkled gravel over every sink. It was all dead midges. Went down to Glen Nevis and much better there.

Having a great time anyhow and look forward to posting pictures when I get back.

Skin so Soft but make sure you get the correct one as Avon did 2 and one is useless( think its in the pink container ) where the blue works a treat.

earlier here i said i was a fly-fisher

I still have 2 unopened ''blue''cap bottles of AVON SSS.....:D

the bidding starts at £25 each :LOL::LOL:

seriously - there is an AVON lady in Strathaven
anybody want me to ask if she can get the 'blue-top'..?

I'm an east coaster so we just don't get the midges like the west coast. Last year I was in Ullapool and they were a nightmare. after 6pm outside was a no-go. Sinks were awash with dead ones in the morning.

This is a particularly bad year for flying insects, It is becoming unbearable walking the dogs, especially mid afternoon and evening. Getting annihilated by flies of all sort.

Were off to Loch Lomond in a fortnight, is this the right avon spray?

Were off to Loch Lomond in a fortnight, is this the right avon spray?

mine have a blue cap
and three SSS in a vertical mode down the centre blue rectangle

nevertheless ...comments on the site - further down - say it's a repellant

HTH

Spray to your hands and apply to your face that way.

I would love to avoid deet, (I carry that and SSS), but as mentioned when you actually find yourself running from the location then it is the lesser evil :LOL:

Back