Urgent advice required. Mark II N owners please read.

Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if you would cast your eye on the test images attached. I need your advice as I seem to have found something on my Mark II N which is very puzzling. Check out my right hand side as you look at the image labelled test and note the white/odd line that is attached to my jumper. I have never seen anything like this before and I think that there may be some sort of panel misalignment, in fact I have noticed something in my viewfinder that I can only describe as two lines on in the view finder that I can describe as misalignment - the same effect as in the image but in the view finder.

test-1.jpg

I have noticed it when dark images contrast light images, hence this test shot. You can also seen it on the door frame behind me.

Likewise with image 57 attached, if you follow the cliff top down to the sea you can see what I can only describe as a 'ready brek' effect in place?

DevonCliffs2006157.jpg

Any ideas?

Looks like a trip my my dealer may be in order here and will probably head home early late Thurs or early Fri to get this sorted/replaced/swapped.

I note that it is not/was not evident on the Bristol Rugby images, though it was my first shoot with it and may be something do to with dynamic range though I am sure it should not be there.

Any ideas from other N owners? My head says there is an issue, my heart hopes there is not :(

I can see the white line in the first pic but not the effect you spoke of in the second. If you can see it in the viewfinder it's not going to be a problem with the sensor is about the only thing i can think of.

Can't say I've noticed this with my ID MK2N at all. I take it these are unprocessed images, as the white lines you refer to are normally the result of over sharpening, when they appear most in areas of adjoining contrast anyway.

Is it possible that the white line in the first pic is rim lighting produced by backlight from the room light behind you? I must admit I can see no good reason for the white line around the door. :shrug:

For the money these babies cost, I'd be getting it back to them Pete.

Can't say I've noticed this with my ID MK2N at all. I take it these are unprocessed images, as the white lines you refer to are normally the result of over sharpening, when they appear most in areas of adjoining contrast anyway.

Is it possible that the white line in the first pic is rim lighting produced by backlight from the room light behind you? I must admit I can see no good reason for the white line around the door. :shrug:

For the money these babies cost, I'd be getting it back to them Pete.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The first image is RAW, no PP at all. I shot this when I saw this in some of my images and was agog.

However, I cannot seem to recapture it.

Odd, but a visit to my dealer is on.

Thanks.

Just shot this to recreate it and nothing showing. Very very odd ?

Exscuse the ropey technique, trying to get as much black on the image. Shot in raw, to CS2 saved as Jpeg.

It's funny you should bring this up Pete as I noticed in this thread you posted earlier that the first image has a diagonal band across it, I don't know if it is an OOF power line or something but it appears to go through the birds head.

I must admit I can't see anything in the first image on this thread but that doesn't mean a thing with my eyes. :D

It's funny you should bring this up Pete as I noticed in this thread you posted earlier that the first image has a diagonal band across it, I don't know if it is an OOF power line or something but it appears to go through the birds head.

I must admit I can't see anything in the first image on this thread but that doesn't mean a thing with my eyes. :D

Thanks but luckily that is a power line at 2.8 at at distance! :woot: Phew - yo had me worried then!

It's curious that you can see abberations in the viewfinder! That would tend to indicate a misaligned mrror, improperly seated focusing screen, or something wrong in the prism housing. The problem with that though is that when you actually take the shot, the mirror is up with no light at all going up into the prism but straight to the sensor. That points to the lens being the issue, so possibly it's a lens compatibilty or even an IS issue with that particular body?

Is it my imagination or am I seeng halos on the right side of the camera in the last shot you posted, and on your sleeve, which you wouldn't expect to see in an unprocessed image? They'd certainly be more pronounced with a more contrasty image.

It's curious that you can see abberations in the viewfinder! That would tend to indicate a misaligned mrror, improperly seated focusing screen, or something wrong in the prism housing. The problem with that though is that when you actually take the shot, the mirror is up with no light at all going up into the prism but straight to the sensor. That points to the lens being the issue, so possibly it's a lens compatibilty or even an IS issue with that particular body?

Is it my imagination or am I seeng halos on the right side of the camera in the last shot you posted, and on your sleeve, which you wouldn't expect to see in an unprocessed image? They'd certainly be more pronounced with a more contrasty image.

Slightly yes, but I think that far less evident that on the first image. However, that was with my 24 - 70 L, and this was with my 85mm prime. I think it is less evident on the prime - could highlight a 24 - 70 issue as this has been my lens of choice on my trip.

Very odd. Either way I am going to drop it in and see whats said. As I said, I can only liken it to a misalinged panel - think about a poorly set up CRT projector a rear projection TV, thats what I see though the view finder. :shrug:

Here is a stock image, taken when testing this body. Nothing evident here. Strange. I think I may be over worrying but will get it looked at.

Dad-1.jpg

Just looked back at Bristol Rugby stuff and nothing doing there. :thinking:

Just reread this CT, dont actually use any IS lenses now.

Another image @ 1600. Trying to recapture it with the 24 - 70. Nothing showing. Maybe it was a light anomoly then. Odd but I am a worrier sometimes :( Again, RAW to jpeg via CS2 no sharpen.

It is a bit like when you spot a fault on your new TV. You try and ignore it but end up watching the fault rather than the movie!

RU5A1507-01.jpg

LOL. You can definitely worry too much about this stuff - I'm sure particular conditions can cause freaky results in any camera.

I can definitely see it in the first two images you've posted. Moreso on the first.

The readybrek effect on the second I would have put down to oversharpening halos.
The first though, that is strange. Not only is it down your right hand side and around the door, it's also along your collar, next to your right hand thumb, where its in contrast with your neck.

Marcel.

Yeah I see that. I have tried to recreate this soo many times and cant, so panic over. I think as you say, it was my oversharpening technique. I use my laptop when away and much prefer to use my CRT at home to edit normally, hence the oversharpen.

Thanks,

Diego.

It looks like a bit of chromatic abberation - use the removal tool in your RAW processing program (Photoshop has one under the advanced tab - Go to 'Lens' and there are two sliders: one for Red/Cyan and one for Blue/Yellow).

If I was being nasty today, I'd just say it serves you right for not using a Nikon...:nuts:

It looks like a bit of chromatic abberation - use the removal tool in your RAW processing program (Photoshop has one under the advanced tab - Go to 'Lens' and there are two sliders: one for Red/Cyan and one for Blue/Yellow).

If I was being nasty today, I'd just say it serves you right for not using a Nikon...:nuts:

Nikon...WTF :nono:

Only joking, boy would I love a D2Xs :love:

Back