URGENT: help needed on fixing Manfrotto 441 Tripod

Name
Cezare White
Edit My Images
No
hello all.

I'm currently abroad in Santorini, my tripod is always put in the hold through over-size, anyhow...

I went to set it up in my hotel (I shoot hotels and destinations for travel companies)

But I have a problem with my manfrotto carbon one 441 tripod, the bottom locking mechanism is broke (from being in the hold i think) it just spins and won't tighten inside, anyone got any ideas how to fix it?.

1239667_513394835412655_971671352_n.jpg

its urgent that I can fix it, has anyone taken there simular model apart? is it easy to fix this problem...

I'm in my hotel room as I just landed, need to fix it asap so I can start shooting.

thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Either the threads are stripped or the plastic on the handle is.not properly attached to the screw.

If I were you I'd get a cheap tripod pronto and sort it when home. Probably a warrenty job .

I had something similar occur on my 190XProB tripod, although mine turned out to be a stripped thread internally and I had to order the relevant spare part from Manfrotto - the thumbscrew goes though a captive nut and a spring pushes a machined part against the central part of the tripod column to lock - I would imagine the principle is the same for most tripods? - this is the link to the 190XProB spare parts diagram

You can see the parts on the left hand side and to gain access you need to split the tripod by removing the 3 allen key bolts on the tops of the legs on my tripod and it may be that if the thumbscrew was very loose in the hold the internal parts may have been dislodged, but if the thumbscrew was tight and the thread is stripped, I doubt a local DIY repair will be possible. :thumbsdown:

Are you sure the nut inside isn't just out of alignment? The screw itself isn't stripped. Maybe with some fiddling you could get it lined up again. It also looks like you can split the top and replace the nut if it's stripped...probably a standard 1/4-20.

... replace the nut if it's stripped...probably a standard 1/4-20.
That might be standard to you Yanks but a Manfrotto would almost certainly have metric threads.

thank you for the reply everyone.
first time I've got back online and had the time to reply.

I ended up buying a cheap alternative to get the jobs done. (though I hate using it)
it feels and looks horrible, but better than not using one.

anyhow, I will take my old one home and try repair it myself, if not I will send it in for repair or insurance job as it was damaged in the hold.

I did get a shot using the cheap tripod the other night here...
so was worth buying it just for that shot.

946036_513930948692377_1977921008_n.jpg

Back