urgent help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
spaniel said:
The OP said it was near Staples, which is located at 'West Quay Retail Village', the bit opposite is also West Quay as it's fronted by West Quay Road.

If the OP was opposite Staples, there's a pub called the 'Quayside' which AFAIK has plenty of cctv (not been there for a while :( ).

In any case plod would have covered this angle, all begining to sound a bit vague though :|

thats where I meant, didn't realise that was still west quay, I only think of west quay as the john lewis part across the road.

Also the wife said why didn't he just give them the memory card. Again very good point but again easily said when not in the situation.

Because no one has any right to take ANY of your property or equipment from you unless they're using "anti-terror" laws or actually arrest you.

Security, police etc don't even have the right to make you show them your pictures, however if you have nothing to hide then cooperating and telling them what you're doing and showing them the pictures can stop the situation escalating.

In this situation (if we take the version of events as fact) these guys were just out to steal the bloke's camera so showing them pictures/cooperating would have made no difference :shake:

Russ77 said:
Because no one has any right to take ANY of your property or equipment from you unless they're using "anti-terror" laws or actually arrest you.

Security, police etc don't even have the right to make you show them your pictures, however if you have nothing to hide then cooperating and telling them what you're doing and showing them the pictures can stop the situation escalating.

In this situation (if we take the version of events as fact) these guys were just out to steal the bloke's camera so showing them pictures/cooperating would have made no difference :shake:

Actually the police have many powers to seize property, not just the two reasons you stated.

Its irrelevant now though anyway, as we know that if this story is true (if) the real police had nothing to do with this.

Actually the police have many powers to seize property, not just the two reasons you stated.

Its irrelevant now though anyway, as we know that if this story is true (if) the real police had nothing to do with this.

Yes but in the context of someone taking pictures in a public place they can't and this was what essentially we're talking about......

Russ77 said:
Yes but in the context of someone taking pictures in a public place they can't and this was what essentially we're talking about......

Unless someone photographed a crime in progress or the offender for example (a recent armed robbery on a jewellery shop on the isle if Wight springs to mind, amazing photo!) or any property of evidential interest but in this context you're right.

But that's why I added the last bit, as it's a moot point as the real police were never involved in this.

Again, if...

Last edited:

Well, it would be relevant even if the police were impostors.

With the knowledge about their powers to seize your camera, then you have a leg to stand on arguing your case. If the con-men are masquerading as police then they're still limited to the powers the police have to maintain their credibility. They're relying on that to persuade you to hand over your goods.

Of course it is irrelevant if you know for certain that they're not real police at the time of the encounter, but their cover is already blown in that case.

Any point in discussing this any further until the op returns?

i havnt been able to update earlier as i have been at work all day and then we were back at the police station for some questions.

heres what i know as of now

the guard was not real, the police most certainly are not real

there is a very good reason why this has not been broadcast but the police wouldnt tell me to much about it, and what they did say im not sure if i should mention,,,,, however i beleive it will come to light soon.

some of you will be pleased to know that he is getting the camera replaced by him mum and dad for xmas, others doubt he had it taken in the first place, hell maybe he dont even excist.

maybe we were stupid or thick to hand it over to who we belived were the police but we respect authority, maybe we should have told them to f off but thats just not the way we are,,, sorry

and believe me ive only just got over a life threatning illness where i wasnt sure if i woulld still be here =, so i really could do with out all the grief this has bought,,, but there you go,,

just keep your eyes peeled and all the doubters will soon know the truth

im leaving this forum now to go and talk to my imaginary friends

Last edited:
I was led to believe that this was a helpful and friendly place to be (TP Forum) after reading comments on here and Off other threads, I am starting to wonder if I myself was a victim of a crime ! Just like me, they were led to believe that they were something that their not !!!

How very sad !

Maybe he's in work or has other comitments that stop him being online. :shrug: As he's not new to TP I'm sure he'll be back in due coarse.

Edit:- Ha talk about timing :D

Exactly what I was thinking Andy :)
Anyway good to hear back from him, it's pretty tough to have something you've saved for taken away like this, and even tougher when others cast doubt. Hindsight is very useful so is experience of life, give the guy a break :)

Last edited:
it is a friendly helpful place in the main, just one or two bad apples, only to be expected on a forum this size. Most folk are helpful tho. Just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff

I was led to believe that this was a helpful and friendly place to be (TP Forum) after reading comments on here and Off other threads, I am starting to wonder if I myself was a victim of a crime ! Just like me, they were led to believe that they were something that their not !!!

How very sad !

i keep seeing this written whenever something is challenged about a persons post, quite often by new members. I think it is an over the top reaction.

Someone posts a story that smells a bit funny, we should be allowed to question it so that the community doesn't end up looking like mugs. It still is the friendliest place because I guarantee you that those questioning the validity of a story if shown to be wrong would hold their hands up and apologise.

I would imagine for example, that the ticket the OP's colleague had got has been inconveniently collected as evidence by the real police, which is a shame.

Well yeah, if the real police aren't complete dolts.

I think the story is probably true. I think there is probably 20% doubt here. I still think that maybe people need to learn how to disagree properly. But that's hardly unique to this forum. Think we can all agree that if people argued to get to the truth, rather than to win their point the whole world would be a better place.

Specially if everyone would stop arguing with what I know is the truth.

I don't think that its over the top frankly as I've seen too many threads with the same group mentality where suddenly someone thinks somethings fishy, or they are pro one side or the other, usually influenced by their own associations like in a recent locked thread re a journalist being assaulted by the police.

I nearly started an off topic thread about it but realise it would simply descend into a he said she said tittle tattle and simply be another silly bickering thread to add to the pile.

Bit like the union strike thread, I looked at the first page and left it and haven't been back since as some people are so entrenched in their attitude they are unwilling to admit they are wrong, or even the possibility of such.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good discussion as I can be one of those unbelievably pedantic people, but I'm always willing to be shown where I'm wrong and have even been known to change my mind when shown evidence and rationale.

Bit like this thread, people basically calling the integrity of the OP into question, someone that's got 600 plus posts on here, not a newbie with 5 or 6 posts where people would be more than justified in being suspicious.

But that seems to be the TP way recently which is why I now very very rarely bother replying to any of the threads, or if I do, I feel I have to be very careful in how I do so :shrug:

Why is the OP is being so cryptic though? He came to update but didn't update or explain through some of the inconstancies...

joescrivens said:
i keep seeing this written whenever something is challenged about a persons post, quite often by new members. I think it is an over the top reaction.

Someone posts a story that smells a bit funny, we should be allowed to question it so that the community doesn't end up looking like mugs. It still is the friendliest place because I guarantee you that those questioning the validity of a story if shown to be wrong would hold their hands up and apologise.You

I would imagine for example, that the ticket the OP's colleague had got has been inconveniently collected as evidence by the real police, which is a shame.

Sorry the last paragraph is a tad silly, of course the ticket would have been taken a evidence, it is evidence to the crime.

I also agree that it is a very friendly forum, and of course we can question things, no different to in real life.

I think a lot of the trouble with the written word compared to spoken word is that it is difficult to read how people mean things. Hell even in the real world people don't always agree and debate things. No different here.

Why is the OP is being so cryptic though? He came to update but didn't update or explain through some of the inconstancies...

let me know what they are then

i thought id explained ok so what do you want to know

How very sad !

This is a freindly helpful place when you want to know about photography, you want to know something and the same people that have questioned things on this thread will be the first to give you an answer.

Trouble is everyone is entitled to their own opinion on any subject, but when the subject is not really photography related it can get a bit OTT.

To be fair i did find this story a little strange but the people involved are young and obviously respectful of people who appear to be in authority so that being said it stands to reason how it happend.

Stick with it visit other sections of the forum and you will see what I am talking about

spike

Maybe he's not reading the entire thread, just posting updates?

odd jim said:

But he did say he doesn't know a lot more as the police didn't say much and what they did he didn't know if he should mention, which I think is fair enough.

matty198111 said:
let me know what they are then

i thought id explained ok so what do you want to know

Why no press release warning the public? That's the first thing they would do, protocol wise.

You said there was a good reason they havnt publicised this but I can't think why they wouldnt?

Feel free to PM me as I have certain professional knowledge in this area if you don't want it public, maybe I can be more helpful that way?

Last edited:
I find it odd why you think that a member of the public would have an inkling into why a police force would or would not issue a press release on any subject at all?

Does your professional knowledge mean your a police officer / worker or are married to one?

Why no press release warning the public? That's the first thing they would do, protocol wise.

well tbh im not really sure, i do have an idea because of a few things that were said tonight, but i really dont know if i should say, i wish i could as it would help me defend myself and prove im not talking out my rear, but for now im not going to.

i know it looks like a cop out as dos the ticket (which is evidence) being taken for evidence.

personally I think some folk need to learn how to temper their posts so they don't across so harshly, something I learned through work as I had to email clients with bad news quite often. good manners wouldn't go amiss either

or

start practising buddhism :cool:

also - have you considered that they are real policemen but very naughty ones - this can happen too

In 2009 there was a case of a security guard in Southampton convicted of dressing in dark clothes, tactical vest, body armour and other paraphernalia that it so closely resembled a police uniform it was calculated to deceive members of the public.

It was reported in the Southern Daily Echo.

Dave

infact why am i defending myself

i posted something on here very quickly as we needed advice asap, so maybe there were a couple things i said that were not 100% correct. but i know im not lying, my friend who has lost his camera knows im not.

im not a police officer or lawyer so i dont know how they do things, sorry i havnt had much dealing with the law before

believe me or not i have better things to do with my time than tryin to prove my innocence.

matty198111 said:
well tbh im not really sure, i do have an idea because of a few things that were said tonight, but i really dont know if i should say, i wish i could as it would help me defend myself and prove im not talking out my rear, but for now im not going to.

i know it looks like a cop out as dos the ticket (which is evidence) being taken for evidence.

Ok I'm going to keep an open mind on this one, but PM me if you think I can help as that's what you asked for originally!

Donnie said:
I find it odd why you think that a member of the public would have an inkling into why a police force would or would not issue a press release on any subject at all?

Does your professional knowledge mean your a police officer / worker or are married to one?

I got the impression they had told him why.

I got the impression they had told him why.

no

they wouldnt but told us a few things and i put 2 and 2 together (probably got 5 )

i did ask for help yes but that wa when we thought the police took the camera, its now clear that they didnt so the real police or sorting it

thanks for the offer though

Here is a possibility:

If there is an ongoing Operation regarding this then the last thing the police would want to do is make a public announcement. They could be close to getting enough evidence to convict and would not want to prejudice the case - given that there hasn't been any violence/loss of life that we are aware of.

As I said, just a possibility.

matty198111 said:
no

they wouldnt but told us a few things and i put 2 and 2 together (probably got 5 )

i did ask for help yes but that wa when we thought the police took the camera, its now clear that they didnt so the real police or sorting it

thanks for the offer though

Cool, I hope whatever is going down it gets sorted, but I would be intrigued to hear the final result when it comes about!

also - have you considered that they are real policemen but very naughty ones - this can happen too

hmmm...perhaps the 'real' police are :muted:

as they want to catch the 'bad' ones ''at it''
IMO of course...........:LOL:

in my personal involvement with Strathclydes finest - they told me NOTHING, not then, not later, never........... Very poor PR

must type faster.....:bonk:

Last edited:
A good question, as far as I am concerned you shouldn't have to!

It is sad when you can't ask for help without being called a liar or stupid! :bang:

Personally I am amazed how restrained you have been in your response to those comments......;)

Toby

it does not bother me

being called thick or stupid,its no big deal really
the only stupid thing i done was post about it on here, for all the judgemental people to get there teeth into

im not commenting on this thread any more, maybe at the end just to show the result of what ever is going to happen but other than that i wont bother

BlueBall said:
Here is a possibility:

If there is an ongoing Operation regarding this then the last thing the police would want to do is make a public announcement. They could be close to getting enough evidence to convict and would not want to prejudice the case - given that there hasn't been any violence/loss of life that we are aware of.

As I said, just a possibility.

Well that is the most obvious reason it has not been reported in the press etc.

Simple sting, plain clothes cops with camera in the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back