Urgent Question for Nikon D500 Users

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I am in communication with Nikon with regard to a battery capacity problem with my D500 and genuine Nikon Li-ion 20 batteries, (it is suggested that the D500 should give around 1200 shots per charge).
Having eliminated the incompatibility of my Nikon lenses they are suggesting that my XQD & SD UHS-II cards could be the reason for the battery drain, possibly causing the camera to fail to enter 'standby'.

So do you experience a low shot per charge on your D500?
What brand of cards are you using??

I would be grateful if you could respond in the thread showing which cards you use and whether you have the low shot per charge problem.

Gramps no problem with mine Im using in the xqd slot I'm using a Lexar professional 2933x 64 gig card and in the sd slot a Sandisk extreme 60mb/s 32gig card,
Have used them in both overflow mode and backup modes. Used the xqd card on its own but haven't done the same with the sd card..
Like I said in the 500 thread I would say low 1,000 mark for me.

Out of interest are you using both card slots or just one?

Gramps no problem with mine Im using in the xqd slot I'm using a Lexar professional 2933x 64 gig card and in the sd slot a Sandisk extreme 60mb/s 32gig card,
Have used them in both overflow mode and backup modes. Used the xqd card on its own but haven't done the same with the sd card..
Like I said in the 500 thread I would say low 1,000 mark for me.

Out of interest are you using both card slots or just one?

Thanks Graham ... I'm using XQD in Slot 1 and SD UHSII in Slot 2 as overflow :)

Don't know how close you are to me or another D500 user but if its possible to arrange would it be an idea to meet up with another user and basically swap cards and a lens to compare battery usage.
It might mean rattling off rather a lot od quick shots but might give you more ammo to go back to nikon with. Lets face it if the a battery, card and lens combination manages over 1,000 shots on one camera and a lot less on yours to me it seems tom prove you camera is not quite right.

This is why I'm trying to see if there is a relationship between the make of card and the problem Graham ... if everyone with the problem is using the same cards as me then we may have a link to the problem :)

Hi @gramps

I just checked the battery info and with 38% left it is reporting that I've taken 592 shots. If I'm interpreting that correctly then, and assuming same battery drain for the last 38%, I should get about 950 (ish). Which I guess isn't to far off what would be expected particularly as the new Li-Ion 20 hasn't had many cycles yet.

XQD: Lexar Professional 2933x 32GB 440 MB/s (Primary Slot)
SD: Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95MB/s SDHC U3 10

(Secondary Slot Function: RAW Primary - JPEG Secondary)

Airplane Mode ON

Hope this helps.

Hi @gramps

I just checked the battery info and with 38% left it is reporting that I've taken 592 shots. If I'm interpreting that correctly then, and assuming same battery drain for the last 38%, I should get about 950 (ish). Which I guess isn't to far off what would be expected particularly as the new Li-Ion 20 hasn't had many cycles yet.

XQD: Lexar Professional 2933x 32GB 440 MB/s (Primary Slot)
SD: Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95MB/s SDHC U3 10

(Secondary Slot Function: RAW Primary - JPEG Secondary)

Airplane Mode ON

Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thanks :)

I have noticed that some days I can get way above the 1200, on Tues it was1549 shots from 100% to zero, made note of which battery. Other days it seems to be about 400 - 600.
As I cycle through the batteries I might find I have one that's not performing like the others. Might be me and not the camera, could just be the particular usage that day.

All lion02
XQD lexar 128GB No SD card
wifi off and aeroplane mode off (I have tried aeroplane on but makes no difference) Camera not sync'd with a phone at all and touch screen off.

I did notice that before getting an xqd reader I was using the cameras usb3 port to xfer pics and if left connected and on that would drain the battery quickly. I've aslo set the standby timer to 10 secs.

I have noticed that some days I can get way above the 1200, on Tues it was1549 shots from 100% to zero, made note of which battery. Other days it seems to be about 400 - 600.
As I cycle through the batteries I might find I have one that's not performing like the others. Might be me and not the camera, could just be the particular usage that day.

All lion02
XQD lexar 128GB No SD card
wifi off and aeroplane mode off (I have tried aeroplane on but makes no difference) Camera not sync'd with a phone at all and touch screen off.

I did notice that before getting an xqd reader I was using the cameras usb3 port to xfer pics and if left connected and on that would drain the battery quickly. I've aslo set the standby timer to 10 secs.

Thanks Jerry :)

Must be more D500 users here :thinking:

I'm on holiday in Wales Roger so this week will be first use with it so will let you know how I get on we on Rhayader so will get a good test at the kite feeding when we go

I'm on holiday in Wales Roger so this week will be first use with it so will let you know how I get on we on Rhayader so will get a good test at the kite feeding when we go
Thanks Adam, have a great time with the Kites :)

I'm using a Lexar professional 2933x 64 gig XQD card and in the sd slot a Lexar Professional 1000x (150mb/sec) 64gb Card.

I have the MB-D17 grip and a genuine battery in both, and charged them both yesterday. Put the camera away last night with both on 100% charge and this morning with no images taken and the camera switched off all night, the in body battery showed 98% and the grip one 97% ?

To be fair they have held at the same all day, but not sure why they should have drained slightly ? On my last battery I only got 547 images (the grip one reading 0%), and that was over several days (I.e not in burst mode).

Most of my images have been with the Tamron 150-600 VC (about 50%) with the rest split between the Nikon 16-80 F2.8-4 VR and the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II (and 10 with my sigma 10-20 F4-5.6).

Touch screen off, Airplane mode on.

Last edited:
not touched XQD at all, use Sandisk Extreme pro and Kingston 64gb SD Cards, had a full day of shooting 600+ shots and only drained 1 segment of Battery, Buffer for cards is around 40 +

Touchscreen on flight mode on, lens used 150-600mm Sigma C and 70-200 F2.8 FX

Gramps try it with Flightmode on and only Sd cards, see how you go, I've been massively impressed at the batt life, but then again i do come from Mirrorless, but i can go a whole day at the track and only get to 80%

Last edited:
I have the Lexar 32 GB 2933X Professional XQD Card and the Lexar 32 GB Class 10 UHS-II 2000X SDHC Card. I have the XQD primary, and the SDHC card as the overflow. I think I have only overflowed onto the 2nd card once so far. I have the latest Firmware installed.

The last time I went out, I took about 480 images, with looking at the rear screen every 3-10 images, and had the airplane mode off and connected via Blue-tooth to my tablet for location info, and had about 38% left I think.

The battery was very bad initially, but seems to have stabilised at close to what Nikon claim imho.

Just to add, I've been using the D500 with the Nikon 70-300mm VR and back button focusing, so the AF is being used almost all the time.

Last edited:
All helpful information guys, thank you ... continuing to discuss with Nikon :)

Sony XQD G series & Sandisk Extreme plus UHS1. Raw to XQD and large jpg to SD. 741 shots on Saturday with some chimping. 45% left at the end of the day.

To update my previous post for lenses used. 300mm PF (with and without a TC) and sigma 50mm f1.4 Art.

Hi Gramps, I'm flat out at work at the moment so unfortunately haven't used my D500 for a couple of week so can't give you any exact figures but I was getting the same sort of battery life from it as I did my d7200 and d610. Just using a super fast SD card, sandisk 64gb.

Hi Roger, sorry, only just seen this thread from the link you provided in the D500 thread.

I've certainly noticed that the battery doesn't last as long compared to what my D810 did.

I have 4 batteries, all Li-On 20.

I use a 32gb SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s SD card.

I'm intending to go out with it on Sunday morning.

I'll report back (y)

Hi Roger, sorry, only just seen this thread from the link you provided in the D500 thread.

I've certainly noticed that the battery doesn't last as long compared to what my D810 did.

I have 4 batteries, all Li-On 20.

I use a 32gb SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s SD card.

I'm intending to go out with it on Sunday morning.

I'll report back (y)

Thanks Wez, appreciated :)

Im using Lexar Pro 2933 32gb XQD card and Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb 95 MB/s SD card, current battery life is very poor but seems to be improving each time I charge the battery. Havent had such an issue with new battery on my D750.

Im using Lexar Pro 2933 32gb XQD card and Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb 95 MB/s SD card, current battery life is very poor but seems to be improving each time I charge the battery. Havent had such an issue with new battery on my D750.

I'm using the same XQD card and Lexar Professional 1000x 150 MB/s.
Battery life seems to be getting better with each charge. I've only got 2 L ion20
Although so far only charged each one twice. I reckon around 600 or so, but i don't run them out if i can help it.

@gramps

Nikon Li-On 20 battery :-

Battery info :

CHARGE 58%
No. of shots 316

Battery Age 0 (New)

Took the camera out this morning for an hour or so and the above info is taken from the Battery Info menu.

So, roughly, a full charge would probably be around 650-700 shots, by the looks of it.

Not the best battery life, by any means.

I'm very interested to hear what your thoughts are when you receive the new grip, as was looking at a couple the other day (y)

EDIT ** I've just ordered one, as I would probably end up getting one anyway. It arrives tomorrow. Will report back (y)

Last edited:
@gramps

Nikon Li-On 20 battery :-

Battery info :

CHARGE 58%
No. of shots 316

Battery Age 0 (New)

Took the camera out this morning for an hour or so and the above info is taken from the Battery Info menu.

So, roughly, a full charge would probably be around 650-700 shots, by the looks of it.

Not the best battery life, by any means.

I'm very interested to hear what your thoughts are when you receive the new grip, as was looking at a couple the other day (y)

EDIT ** I've just ordered one, as I would probably end up getting one anyway. It arrives tomorrow. Will report back (y)
Seeing your other post you were using live view so besides the lcd running the battery down quicker VR stays on all the time I believe if you have it?

It probably does :)

I only had Live View though for about 8 shots, just to try it.

No VR on the lens either :)
Ah ok was just checking :)

FYI Roger - I took around 250 shots today at Gigrin and only 1 bar went down on battery, was using 300PF with VR off most of time, 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mbs SD Card.

FYI Roger - I took around 250 shots today at Gigrin and only 1 bar went down on battery, was using 300PF with VR off most of time, 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mbs SD Card.

Thanks Adam, the problem appears to be related to the Lexar UHS-II cards ... they work fine in my D7200 but seem to affect the battery capacity in the D500.

Thanks Adam, the problem appears to be related to the Lexar UHS-II cards ... they work fine in my D7200 but seem to affect the battery capacity in the D500.
At least you have it pinned down to a specific card :) forgot to say I had left it on all night so it had gone into standby ok too

Back