US Netbooks

Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to the US and Canada in a few weeks and am considering buying a Netbook whilst I'm out there, primarily for use with my camera. Being a bit of a newbie to such technical things I have a couple of questions though;

(a) Can I use a US netbook in the UK and are there any major hurdles to doing so (power, keyboard, operating system differences)? and;
(b) Does anyone have any feedback on the Acer Aspire One D250 Netbook?

Thanks in advance!

Samsung NC10, best value for money, great build quality and 6hour battery.

I personally wouldn't buy an acer product of any kind, but thats just me!

Bought an Acer Aspire 150 recently in the UK for £150. That has a power supply that accepts input voltages of 100-240V at 50-60 cycles so there shouldn't be any problem between US/EU supplies.

This runs on Linux.

Mainly for backing up on the go, but also for general browsing/email. I have a Dell Inspiron which I use for all my editing, etc.

A US keyboard is slightly different as far as the position of some of the symbols are concerned but it's not a major hurdle. I think the £ sign is hidden away for one. They're mostly unaware of the existence of other currencies.

Then there's the warranty to consider should it require a repair. And US warranties are frequently for less than a year.

as luke recommended, i would go for an NC10 my friend had an acer and he hated it and now he's bought an asus 1000H which is quite nice. i would definitely go with NC10 because ive played with them and my mate has even put elements 7.0 on there for on the move editing.

I have always fancied an NC10. I had whittled it down to that or an 18.4" Acer monster :D The monster won.

Gary.

I have an acer Aspire One 16Gb SSD and 1GB Ram running Linux Linpus lite

As long as you can find decent SW to run on Linux it should have no problem fullfilling your needs, boots in 10 seconds 3 hours battery life (more with the 6 Cell) and the psu runs on an AC adaptor so just change out the kettle lead on the end and your away.

The NC-10 is a blinder but much more in price if you don't mind spending a few quid the easy option is an XP not a Vista version NC-10 as the Atom processor won't run Vista.

Cheers

N.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 while I was in the US from the Dell Outlet store online.
They have a UK outlet store but there were no netbooks on it when I looked last.
It works great here- different keyboard layout and you'll need an adapter (but not a power transformer or anything).
The model I bought only has a 16GB memory (solid state), but there are plenty with larger hard drives.

amazon.com is always the best starting point.

Good luck!

Back