USB 2 card reader over 1, major differences

mrk

Edit My Images
No
So today I got through the post a free Apacer USB2 card reader/writer =) (part of the free gift for subbing to Practical Photo mag for £9 quarterly, hurry up if you wanna sub as the offer ends soon!!)

Well I must say it looks nicer than my Zynet USB1 driveand the speed boost is on similar levels of increase too :)

usb1 : 5.57mb RAW > 5.2sec
usb2 : 5.57mb RAW > Under 1.5sec o_0

It also reads many other formats so I don't have to stick with the dog slow USB 1 connection when friends bring their cameras and removable media round my house :)

And finally some pics (as allways :p)

The Packaging
usb2_reader1.jpg

The Drives (Apacer on right, old one on left (gonna be sold for about a fiver))
usb2_reader2.jpg

It actually looks quite nice too!! I already have a USB2 card reader but do you have a link to the promotion that you managed to get this one free with? I am sure atleast one of our members would like to take advantage of the offer?

Steve said:
It actually looks quite nice too!! I already have a USB2 card reader but do you have a link to the promotion that you managed to get this one free with? I am sure atleast one of our members would like to take advantage of the offer?

Sure thing, I read the advert in the Practical Photography magaz\ine but you can sub by phoning

08701 241010 and talkk to one of them to subscribe to the magazine and get the free gift!

i have a usb2 reader on a usb2 pci card with usb2 software installed yet it tells me i should use a usb2 device cos its quicker when i plug something in on it....annoying as the priter is fine with it and is USB2

EosD said:
i have a usb2 reader on a usb2 pci card with usb2 software installed yet it tells me i should use a usb2 device cos its quicker when i plug something in on it....annoying as the priter is fine with it and is USB2

weird! im using a 4 ports USB 2 pci card also and it works flawlessly!

mrk said:
EosD said:

weird! im using a 4 ports USB 2 pci card also and it works flawlessly!

What's your operating system? USB2.0 needs at least Service Pack 1 on Windows XP.

If it was working at USB 1.0 speeds, you'd know about it, as it's SLOOOOW... in fact, around 40 times slower than USB 2.0. USB2 should transfer data from your card to your PC at almost hard drive speeds.. so for instance, a 10Mb file shoudl onlt take a few seconds max. If it takes significantly longer, then it's operating as a USB 1 device.

no idea why its doing it, im fully up to date SP2 here, so no idea! i will tinker at some point

EosD... A couple of thoughts... Firstly it may be the cable that is throttling the transfer rate, so make sure it is rated for USB 2.0. Secondly, the printer will not require fast data transfer - you wouldn't notice the difference if it was USB 1.1 - so that may not be a good indicator. If you can try another USB 2.0 device which uses high data rates (e.g. memory stick or external HD), that could tell you whether it's the card reader or the USB port which is causing the problem (if there is really a problem!). :)

Although you may already have SP1 or SP2 installed the USB2 drivers are not always installed automatically. You may need to go to device manager and select USB devices then update driver, this will then update the drivers to use the faster USB2 ones if they are not already in use.

Hope that helps?

i tried the usb reader in the socket for the printer and it worked fine, much faster, i also reinstalled the drivers but it dont like it, for some reason it wont work on that socket

You may find that your pc has some usb2 and some usb1 sockets. In which case as Silky has said your printer will not benefit as much from usb2 as the card reader, so swap them around and gain the benefit of usb2 for use with your piccys :wink:

You could always add extra usb sockets if you really miss the speed with the printer :shock:

Back