USB 3 to usb2 adapters

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all,
My PC has a USB3 port
I`m currently finding it hard to locate a cable to connect my D750 to USB3, but I can find a USB3 to USB2 adapter thing.
Question is, if I get one of these adapters will I get USB3 speed as I`ll still be using a USB2 lead ?

Or is there a cable on the market ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

AFAIK there is no difference in the connectors, although cables would be marketed as USB3. Have you tried using the cable you have?

OH f*** IT, I meant 3.1 type C........D O H M E
Sorry guys

check lindy.co.uk (being the one that crops up with ads on google). Serves you right for buying the latest gadget ;-)

Thanks, Its just that I find it easier and faster to transfer from Camera to PC and being that my PC has a 3.1 I thought well why not use it.
Having just had a look at Lindy`s site I dont seem to find a cable that suits.
So to the other question, if I got one of those adapters, would I get the 3.1 speed or lose it via the normal usb cable connected to the adapter ?

You'll be limited to the speed of the device, d750 is USB2 so you'll be limited to the speed the camera can export. If you got a USB3 card reader you'd be limited to the read speed of the card, most high end cards are 2-3x faster than the camera will be able to push from its USB port.

You'll be limited to the speed of the device, d750 is USB2 so you'll be limited to the speed the camera can export. If you got a USB3 card reader you'd be limited to the read speed of the card, most high end cards are 2-3x faster than the camera will be able to push from its USB port.

Ah ok thanks,
basically it's a half wasted time.
I'll stick with the snail mail [emoji23]

There are actually dozens available. Just search for 'usb c to micro b cable' on Amazon and ignore the USB3 micro Bs.
But I agree it's not the best way to transfer data from camera to PC.

There are actually dozens available. Just search for 'usb c to micro b cable' on Amazon and ignore the USB3 micro Bs.
But I agree it's not the best way to transfer data from camera to PC.
The Nikon D750 (and many other cameras) actually use 8-pin Mini B USB connectors. Different from standard Mini B USB connectors and adds audio and video out along side the standard USB data.

As far as I have found, no one makes a USB C to 8-pin Mini B Cable.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about Nikon's reluctance to adopt standard connectors. ;)
I doubt the market is yet large enough for a dedicated cable so the adapter Graham's already found would be the only solution.

Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about Nikon's reluctance to adopt standard connectors. ;)
Thats a little unfair ... while it wasn't every officially a USB-IF standard ... the Mini-USB 8-pin connector was actually a Fuji creation (if I remember correctly) and has been used on cameras from Fuji, Konica Minolta, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax and Sony (and probably others I haven't been able to reference quickly).

It has a specific purpose in that it offers (as I commented above) A/V output as well as USB data.

Sorry hope I don't sound fan-girlish "correcting" you like this and defending Nikon ... but just annoys me when people make sweeping statements to denigrate a company when the reality just isn't true! I do agree not being able to get a Mini-USB 8-pin to USB-C cable is annoying (especially as it destroys my argument that you don't need conversion dongles for a MacBook/Pro just new cables).

But like I have stated earlier, if I used a dongle and a standard USB 2 cable connected I'll still not gain much if at all so I may as well keep the cable that came with the camera and use it.

Back