USB-C Multiport Adapter for Ipad Pro

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi... Has anyone got any recommendations or warnings regarding choice of USB-C multi port adapter for connecting to an Ipad Pro ?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to buy an Ipad Pro and it will be the first Apple product I have bought for over 10 years so I'm still a bit paranoid about connectivity issues.
I expect to be connecting a card reader and probably a portable external hard drive.
I already have a portable hard drive (Seagate USB-A / HDMI) that is a few years old so not sure if that will work or maybe will have to buy another but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I was originally planning to buy a simple USB-C card reader but now thinking I should just get a multi port adapter instead.

Any recommendations or warnings greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've used one of these for years with my iPad Pro. Built in SD card reader, USB ports, HDMI and power pass through. Removable cable too so if anything ever happens to that you only need to replace the cable not the entire hub

I've used one of these for years with my iPad Pro. Built in SD card reader, USB ports, HDMI and power pass through. Removable cable too so if anything ever happens to that you only need to replace the cable not the entire hub

That is quite nice (I particularly like the removable cable)

For various reasons I have several of these things about the house (none with a removable cable!) and they are all much of a muchness. Many of them have card readers, some have pass through power, some have both, most don't have an ethernet port. They all work with all my computers and my iPad and all do the job. None of them was particularly expensive.

Which one I use usually depends on the features and form factor I need that day (e.g. how much space do I have in the bag I'm carrying it in, how many other USB-A peripherals am I expecting to plug in, do I need to connect to a screen).

Essentially, what I'm saying is that pick one based on your particular requirements and desires and you're not likely to get it too wrong.

P.S. A pass-through [PD] power port is very useful if you have external drives and devices that need bus power or you need to keep the battery of your iPad going while displaying things on an external screen for extended periods. I would recommend choosing an adapter that has that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I found that copying camera raw files from a card reader via an adapter to an external drive using an iPad Pro was extremely slow , maybe someone on here more technically savvy has found a better way to do it but I gave up trying and use a Macbook pro for this

Back