USB3 card reader?

Edit My Images
No
Following on from my post about getting & fitting a USB3 ports card for the PC.

Subject to getting a longer cable to connect my USB powered HDD's to see (a) that they do get enough power to run and be recognised reliably by the PC (no idea why my 500GB and 1TB drives have been AOK but since getting the 2TB the USB2 connectivity has been flakey???) and (b) that the Read/Write speeds are noticeably quicker than when on USB2

In the meantime I have tried the card reader my old trusty Sandisk Image All-in_one so that the speeds are no different......................methinks a doh! moment as in this old so surmise only a USB2 device :(

So, looking for recommendations as to what USB3 reader to get ideally with CF and SD but if also other ports so much the better :(

TIA for the recommedations :)

I'm on my second Lexar Pro USB3 Dual Slot card reader and still waiting (8 months) for my refund for the 1st one that went Pete Tong, I hae a Sandisk reader I use with my laptop when out and about and it's never missed a beat.
perhaps I've been unlucky

I am more than happy with my Lexar dual slot USB3 reader, just got to make sure the connector is firmly attached.

Had it a good few years now too.

I am more than happy with my Lexar dual slot USB3 reader, just got to make sure the connector is firmly attached.

Had it a good few years now too.

:agree: Got 2 of these, one lives at home and the other in my go bag. Not had any problems at all.

GC

I suppose it depends what model number you have, I have LRW400U & LRW300U

I suppose it depends what model number you have, I have LRW400U & LRW300U
The 300 doesn't support UHS II but the 400 does. That's the only official difference but I find the 400 is slightly faster than the 300 with UHS I cards.

It was the 400 that failed

Both of mine are 400U Rev A, must have had a fair few hundred uses on each with no problems.

GC

<Shrug> Given the quantity Lexar must have sold it's not surprising that there's an occasional failure.

I agree but it shouldn't take over 6 months, still ongoing, to sort out the warranty!

Presumably your retailer has nowhere to go given Lexar's change of ownership?

Presumably your retailer has nowhere to go given Lexar's change of ownership?

I'm dealing with Lexar support direct; here's their latest excuse for the delay,

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Kindly note that we are facing some issues with the PayPal limitation as there are a lot of refunds, However we are working on this issue,

Please accept our apologies for the delay, and we appreciate your patience.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Lexar Support Agent

The Lexar card readers don’t play nicely with some USB3 Controller chips, certainly on PCIe cards for Macs. If you bought a USB card for your computer then that could be the issue. I can’t remember which USB3 chipsets but google will tell you.

I have a 300U and a 400U reader. For me the 300U is faultless but the 400U will only mount cards read only. I have just learned to live with it rather than change it.

Last edited:
The Lexar card readers don’t play nicely with some USB3 Controller chips, certainly on PCIe cards for Macs. If you bought a USB card for your computer then that could be the issue. I can’t remember which USB3 chipsets but google will tell you.

I have a 300U and a 400U reader. For me the 300U is faultless but the 400U will only mount cards read only. I have just learned to live with it rather than change it.

It wouldn't work on my main PC, my Micro Server or my laptop!
They've admitted it's faulty, they've just not refunded me yet.

Well bit of a result, email from Paypal telling me I'm getting my £27.33 refunded from Lexar. Must be the worst customer service I've ever experienced!

Back