Use of manual lens on Sony A100

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone

I wonder if you can help.
I have recently bought a Jintu professional HD lens 420-800 mm f/8.3-16 super telephoto lens. It was advertised as compatible with the Sony A100 and on the box states suitable for all SLR cameras. However when I attach it the camera will not shoot and the error no lens attached shows on the LCD screen.

I have put the camera to Manual mode but it doesn't seem to make a difference (not used it in manual mode previously so I may have missed a step).

Can anybody please help me otherwise I am going to have to ship it back?

Many thanks

Don't know anything about the A100 or even what it is, but the A7 range has a menu option to prevent the shutter firing if a non compatible lens (or no lens) is fitted, Maybe that is the issue.

Last edited:
Hi & welcome to TP

Having looked this lens up, I see that it is 'just' a simple lens that is more like a telescope dressed up for use on a dSLR when used with a T2 Mount adaptor.

Yes, compatible but so it is with many other makes because of the T2 adaptor..................this compatibility goes no further than the ability to mount it!

It has no electronic connection and is why they say the camera will show 'no lens attached'.

Setting the camera to manual means you can set the shutter speed and aperture BUT and bearing in mind there is no electronic connection with the lens to change aperture the camera will (should) default to max aperture BUT (yes, another but) As far as I can tell the lesn has no aperture ring and hence no diaphragm ~ meaning the aperture is always wide open (max aperture) but this will vary depending on the zoom setting.

There is no auto focus (see above about the connection) therefore as I perceive it is is fixed focus.

IMO a nightmare of a lens that will frustrate you to the point of stopping your photographic journey.

Having said that if you can get to grips with it, go for it ???

HTH :)

PS as @kenm says above you need to look into the menu settings and find one, as appropriate, that allows the shutter to fire without a lens attached......if there is no such setting then clearly unusable!

Last edited:
I looked the A100 up and it appears to have an AF/MF switch on the body, this may be all that is required for you to use such a lens ........though that might still mean the camera is still trying to detect the electronic connection requiring a menu setting???

Hopefully there'll be a "Shoot without lens" setting in the menu. If there is the camera should then work with the lens and you'll probably be able to use Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes.

Hi everyone.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.

It turns out it was the shutter lock in the menu settings that needed switching off. The camera will now take a photo.
I'm going to have to try it out properly in the daylight tomorrow to see how it performs but the main battle has been won.

Thanks again.

Clara

Glad you sussed it out and can get out there shooting with it........I look forward to seeing the pictures and your thoughts on it.

Back