Used camera & lens website

I setup a Facebook page, so if people want to continue to follow for site updates I will post there
https://www.facebook.com/Used-Cameras-and-Lenses-httpsusedlenscouk-112240487187860/

Working on Camera Jungle next,

Wex - added used cameras (but used lenses are missing from their feed and waiting to hear from them about that.)
I have also scraped Real Camera and Clifton Cameras (which previously stopped working due to their SSL certificate expiring i think)

Amazon Warehouse is going to be difficult, I can't scrape off their site because they don't show prices on results pages if there's more than 1 item, you have to click in. I need to sell three items using affiliate links before I can access their API - I'd just buy 3 items myself but without any income, for what will probably be at least six months of this year, I'm not making any unnecessary purchases.

yep I'd be happy to help out buying something if you tell us what to do.
Obviously can't promise things immediately but I am sure I'll order something from amazon in the next week or two

I'm sure there are enough people on TP who need to order something from Amazon, who'd be happy to use your affiliate code so you get access to the API.

Thanks, well if anyone does want to, when on amazon add this to the end of their URL &tag=usedlens-21

if there are no URL variables existing and the URL just ends / use a ? instead of & so /?tag=usedlens-21

Thanks, well if anyone does want to, when on amazon add this to the end of their URL &tag=usedlens-21

if there are no URL variables existing and the URL just ends / use a ? instead of & so /?tag=usedlens-21

sure will remember to :)

The drop down the top-right corner which lets you pick camera/lens brand is missing :(

The drop down the top-right corner which lets you pick camera/lens brand is missing :(

Yes it was hindering my ability to add sites because categorisation just didn’t tally up well.

Managed to add five retailers today ignoring categorisation. If I’d kept categorisation new retailers wouldn’t have shown up in them.

The plan is to get all the retailers on then create my own engine to determine categorisation.

Everything is searchable still on the index.

I guess you win some, you lose some ;)
But the list of retailers is very impressive now (y)

It won’t be long before the rest are on, my import code is very refined now. And I’ve tackled quite a few deviations that I can cope with most things.

I added DrCAD today who have over 900 lenses.. jeez

I used to love MrCAD when I lived down that way - their Windmill road store (now closed) was an absolute treasure trove of paraphernalia and unusual papers & films etc.

I used to love MrCAD when I lived down that way - their Windmill road store (now closed) was an absolute treasure trove of paraphernalia and unusual papers & films etc.

I had to make a decision to limit bringing over their entire stock of everything ! So much..

Can't blame you one bit. You work has not helped my GAS. ;)

Out of interest, your Amazon affiliate code - does it have to be used on photographic stuff only or will it work on anything for you?

Can't blame you one bit. You work has not helped my GAS. ;)

Out of interest, your Amazon affiliate code - does it have to be used on photographic stuff only or will it work on anything for you?

Should work on anything, thanks if you do try it out.

Everyday I check
XCD, Monochrom, Leica 28mm 1.4

Things don’t move fast in these searches..

Do you have an affiliate code for Ffordes yet? Just want to see you get some income from this.

Do you have an affiliate code for Ffordes yet? Just want to see you get some income from this.

No I dont, I don’t see that they have an affiliate scheme. Most of the retailers will not benefit me.

Only ones I have are mpb, wex and park cameras. Amazon warehouse might but an option in the future

No I dont, I don’t see that they have an affiliate scheme. Most of the retailers will not benefit me.

That's a shame. Looks like it's going to be publicity then with more hits = more purchases from the few you do get some income from. Are you at a point where you're looking to advertise or are you still "beta" for want of a better word?

That's a shame. Looks like it's going to be publicity then with more hits = more purchases from the few you do get some income from. Are you at a point where you're looking to advertise or are you still "beta" for want of a better word?

I put £10 on Facebook ads, just out of curiosity. Don’t anticipate conversions to affiliate sales, but just a to get a little visibility.

I can’t afford to spend much on advertising so going with ‘if you build it they will come’ hoping if I make a tool worthy enough people will spread via word of mouth.

I put £10 on Facebook ads, just out of curiosity. Don’t anticipate conversions to affiliate sales, but just a to get a little visibility.

I can’t afford to spend much on advertising so going with ‘if you build it they will come’ hoping if I make a tool worthy enough people will spread via word of mouth.

I am spreading it among a few people I know. But I think what will help most is your website starts showing up in google (UK) searches.

your page or just your html/js? ;)
i wonder if google actually cares if it's visible or not.

You can’t even see the coldfusion :-O

It’s a work of art I tell you....

Yes I think google cottoned onto non display text a while ago.

I made a website once wow-gold.com, filled it with keywords crap all written in light grey. Added adwords and it made £100 before it lost front page google ranking. Was a fun experiment

Oh I like this site! Fantastic work, and amazing how fast you've managed to get it.

nice! (y)

By the way made a small purchase on amazon today and remembered to use the affiliate link. Not sure if that has reflected?
(I've got two more things to purchase, if you have already that should give you the 3 required?)

nice! (y)

By the way made a small purchase on amazon today and remembered to use the affiliate link. Not sure if that has reflected?
(I've got two more things to purchase, if you have already that should give you the 3 required?)

Thanks, feel free to use it as much as you want though :) I see some orders, I'm just waiting for them to change the red cross to a green tick for qualifying orders - might need a day or two before it updates.

Thanks, feel free to use it as much as you want though :) I see some orders, I'm just waiting for them to change the red cross to a green tick for qualifying orders - might need a day or two before it updates.

ah! what qualifies and what doesn't?

ah! what qualifies and what doesn't?

it doesn't really say, i assume any order does - it just needs to be completely processed i guess, shipped etc..

A lens i want was £4500 at one retailer, another retailer popped up today for £4000! nice.. but alas i'm not earning, i cannot buy anyway..

Ok I finished adding retailers

Three did not make the cut

peterloy - website is made of nested tables within nested tables without any class/ids to help navigate it programmatically
commercialcameras - favours dumping new stock on home page instead of updating used page, too much inconsistency
soperfectimages - pages take 15 seconds to load, multiplied by perhaps 40 categories with multiple pages - that's a lot of processing time, I may reconsider.

Future considerations

amazon warehouse - still waiting on API access
ebay - might have a look at this next..

Here are all the other companies I added so far, let me know if I've missed any you'd like me to add.

104384029_119214693157106_6899529010922854574_o.png

Last edited:
Few that come to mind.
York camera mart
Wilkinson camera
UK digital
CVP

They don't have a huge lot but I have seen some good deals from York camera mart and ukdigital sometimes.

Few that come to mind.
York camera mart
Wilkinson camera
UK digital
CVP

They don't have a huge lot but I have seen some good deals from York camera mart and ukdigital sometimes.

Thanks! I'll work on those

I added Amazon Warehouse via a scrape, but i) there's no prices on a scrape so I added a 'check website' under the price column ii) when you get to the product page you have to go to the 'other buying options' to find the Amazon Warehouse option.

Shame it doesn't go direct.

Do not forget !!! You must keep your passion for fotos while exercising this !!! Always, really !!!

So simple @ let mind wander elsewhere.

Neat stuff, however we are supplied equipment free & direct, they switched bricks from junk Canon to junk Nikon in 2016.

So can not help with your % gift @ selling (If you do of course).

Good luck wooly hat boy (◕‿◕)

Do not forget !!! You must keep your passion for fotos while exercising this !!! Always, really !!!

So simple @ let mind wander elsewhere.

Neat stuff, however we are supplied equipment free & direct, they switched bricks from junk Canon to junk Nikon in 2016.

So can not help with your % gift @ selling (If you do of course).

Good luck wooly hat boy (◕‿◕)

I did get up at 4:15am the other morning to go take some nature photos. Unfortunately I cannot do any street photography or even photograph protests in London because it's a train ride away - and to go would be irresponsible of me :( but you are right I do need to keep making time to take photos!

thanks

indeed would love to go up to photograph protests with a small camera (I have a LX100ii) but I don't think that's responsible. Also a train ride away.

Back