used canon 1d mk ii plus a used sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG Lens

Name
alan
Edit My Images
Yes
HI to all my son bought me the above (from his student drinking money) as an early fathers day prezzie which arrived today .to take with me to cad west a week on saturdy to get some good photos of the fast jets.
what is your opinion of these items the camera is a bit on the heavy side.
thank you for any coments.

I used to have a 1d MkIIn and loved it. Fantastic for the time but the lack of megapixels may be a bit of a negative now. Built like a tank and can survive a lot of bad weather and knocks. Generous of your son.

I still have my 1Dmk2, since getting a 5D3 it doesn't get out much, BUT, what a beast of a camera it was. Heavy true, but as reliable as Monday following Sunday. Gets a bit noisy over ISO 800. AF is still really good and will AF at F8 centre spot, so can take a 2x converter with an f4 or 1.4 on an f5.6 Lens and not many in Canons lineup can do that. Still a really good camera, you should enjoy it, remember it's a 1.3 cropper too.
Matt

thank s to you all,
its a big step up from my nikon p900 bridge camera it does not have a manual, i just sit and stare at the beast.
i am wondering what all the buttons do does it havea sports mode setting.
MatBin as i am still learning your words went over my head you had lost me after F8 centre spot,

alan

thank you crofter
have downloaded file and now to see if i can make heads or tails of it

thank s to you all,
its a big step up from my nikon p900 bridge camera it does not have a manual, i just sit and stare at the beast.
i am wondering what all the buttons do does it havea sports mode setting.
MatBin as i am still learning your words went over my head you had lost me after F8 centre spot,

alan
Each lens has a maximum aperture, the zoom lens you have varies from f4 to f5.6 (based on what focal length you have zoomed it to). The auto focus (AF) in the camera will work fine with that lens on all Canon SLR bodies, however if you add an extender/converter then most non professional Canon SLR bodies won't be able to auto focus with that lens/converter combination at the long end of the zoom lens (assuming you can fit an extender to that zoom lens and it's a 1.4 multiplier/extender). However a 1D mk2 will, so will a few other Canon DSLR bodied I.e the more expensive ones! Yes it's a step up from a bridge camera.
To upload images from the camera to a PC I would recommend a card reader as direct connection from camera to PC may not work, it uses a FireWire cable not a USB one and mine has never worked. You could use a card slot in a PC and the SD card instead of the cf card as it writes to both simultaneously if my memory is correct, although I only use the cf slot nowadays.
Where are you based?
Matt

Last edited:
You should get something decent as they get closer at the pass. The lens might not be the sharpest or fastest. Stop it down to f/8 and use pretty fast shutter speed in broad daylight. That will surely get some printable keepers. AF is pretty reliable on these, just practice your framing at speed - with 8MP you have no pixels to waste.

+1 for card reader on these old ones.

Do not bother with SD cards there. The write speed is incredibly slow. Just use a decent CF and it will be fine.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I

Been using one for years and still using it, great camera, OK ISO performance isn't on par with today's camera, but it's still got a decent autofocus system and when parred with decent lenses, I've got no complains

hi MatBin

i am in east yorkshire.
hi pete.rush
great photos when i used my p900 i leave it on auto but now i will have to go play bonny with it, it will test me out .camera will be fine it will deffo user error.

alan

It's a great camera, it will give you some very nice images. However, the Sigma 70-300 lens isn't the best, and might not do the camera justice?

hi odd jim
i thank you for your kind comment, the camera and lens was bought for me as an early fathers day prezzie.( i have been told by son that one of his house mates at uni needed quick cash to get his car through its mot, so was selling his camera he was offered £50 for the set from one of these second hand shops but my lad paid him a £100 for the set which his mate took ).
i am now downloading and printing off manual 212 pages. what would you suggest for a decent lens.

alan

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to take shots of. 50 1.8 is a great lens, build quality isn't great but image quality is, cheap too. 85 1.8 is a good mid-price lens. Longer lenses are expensive, especially if you buy L series. An old 70/200 f3.5/4.5 is a good lens if you get a clean copy.

Back