Used Canon 5D MKIV market

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
I was thinking about upgrading my 5D MKIII with a MKIV.

Browsing the second hand market, there is loads of them. MPB alone have 30.

Is there a reason for this? Are they that bad? Were they not as good as expected when first launched or have people been changing brands?

Any insight in to this would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn’t worry about the reasons. If you want one buy one, it’s a great camera and a good step up from the 3.

I had the "pleasure" editing some images from a 5D mark IV earlier this year. From an initial impression I can honestly say in low light the images were not good. Not good at all. Maybe that's the reason for so many being chopped in. Maybe users prefer the mark III?

I'd probably think it has more to do with how popular a camera it is. There's even 14 Nikon D850s on there which is a bit newer, and by all reports a pretty outstanding camera.

I'd liken it to a Ford Focus - it's a popular mainstream thing, so there are more of them in the market.

Things like the D850 and the 5D IV are cameras used in a professional capacity too, where people are less likely to hang on to the kit and have less of an affinity towards it.

I've owned both a 5D III and a 5D IV (now a 6D II) and I think its a really worthy upgrade (I actually downgraded to free up some cash, and missed it considerably!).

"people been changing brands"

everyone be shooting sony now it seems, lucky to find a second hand mk3 body at all, and at best £100 less than a new one h1
in all seriousness though there is probably about 1000 5d's sold for every mirrorless

I don't suppose it helps that people are more aware of the grey market these days. Price for an as new body at Mpb is £2519, HDEW price for a new one is £1879.

And from Panamoz it's £1830.

I had the "pleasure" editing some images from a 5D mark IV earlier this year. From an initial impression I can honestly say in low light the images were not good. Not good at all. Maybe that's the reason for so many being chopped in. Maybe users prefer the mark III?

Well everything else being equal the noise from high MP cameras will be higher than from lower MP ones - look at the noise levels from the Canon 5Ds with its 50MP compared with the noise levels from the 10MP Canon 1D Mk III.

My 1D Mk III has extremely low noise at 800 ISO and the noise levels from my 40D are also low at 800 ISO.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Thinking about it, it's probably more than likely it will be this reason.

I'd liken it to a Ford Focus - it's a popular mainstream thing, so there are more of them in the market.

What is going on with those prices?

I believe Canon uk put their prices up on everything for whatever stupid reason.

Glad I got my 500mm mkii when I did as it's up £600 from when I purchase mine.

I believe Canon uk put their prices up on everything for whatever stupid reason.

Glad I got my 500mm mkii when I did as it's up £600 from when I purchase mine.

It's not just Canon UK though, a quick look at B&H shows the price as $3500 which is roughly £2660. If you remove VAT from the UK retail price you end up with £2708 so they're basically the same.

I'd be curious to see the historic prices on the 5DIV, perhaps a big discount on the retail price is due?

I don't suppose it helps that people are more aware of the grey market these days. Price for an as new body at Mpb is £2519, HDEW price for a new one is £1879.

And from Panamoz it's £1830.

And from E-infinity it's £1739 :D

That's more than likely the reason for MPB's generous used stock level...

What is going on with those prices? £3250 UK retail vs £1739 from the grey market, pay VAT on that and it's still £1164 cheaper...

...but the reason for those crazy-low grey prices is harder to fathom. I could hazard a guess though, and that's all it would be, but perhaps something to do with 'price realignment' and the major shake-up going on with mirrorless and Sony/Nikon etc. That's the polite word for it, a rather less polite word might be dumping and it's well known that manufacturers use unofficial grey channels to shift stuff when they need to. In which case, it could be temporary, or the 5D4 could be due for an update soon, or an EOS R MkII is on the way?! Or none of those things.

5D4 is a fantastic camera though, especially at those prices, and whatever Canon has in the pipeline won't change that IMHO. Very tempting :eek:

I'm looking for a 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM and prices are crazy when comparing grey and UK suppliers.

Best I've found is £1135 brand new!

I got a 5Div last year, I love it, simples.

30 at MPB for sale is a tiny tiny percentage of the numbers of owners in the country.

I love my 5D4, it took me a good six months of every day usage to really "learn" the camera and get it performing as it should. Once I got their, I found more and it really excels way beyond the 5D iii, which was my previous body.

Those extra pixels demand better technique to keep pics sharp, you have to bear in mind that some people may get frustrated and go back to what they know rather than put the work in.

IMO the low light on this body is the best canon have done, it outshines my 1DX and I do a lot of low light, dawn/dusk wildlife work. The images may show more noise as there are more pixels, although i've never found this isn't something that can be easily rectified in PP.

Must admit as the EOS R isn't what I was expecting (unfortunately) and I am looking for a replacement for my MKI 7D I am seriously looking at the 5D MKIV ... Just waiting for Photokina to make sure Canon don't pull something else out of the bag.

Must admit as the EOS R isn't what I was expecting (unfortunately) and I am looking for a replacement for my MKI 7D I am seriously looking at the 5D MKIV ... Just waiting for Photokina to make sure Canon don't pull something else out of the bag.

The 5D IV is only 2 years old. It will probably have a four year lifecycle if previous history is anything to go by. 5dIII was 2012, 5D iv was 2016. 2020 will probably see its replacement.

Regards...

Back