Used D4 or another D500

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at picking up either a new D500 or a used D4 for mainly rugby. D4 would be on 200-500 and D500 on 70-200 2.8. Grays are selling a used one as mint with only 3k clicks for £1700. Don't know what to do??????

Am I right you already have a D500?
If so, get another one, everything in the same place and superior AF.

Isn't having the D4 the best of both worlds in having full frame and cropped with the D500? Ergonomically all Nikon's are very similar to use. Just a point to add that's all.

As the others have said, go for a second D500. Muscle memory, not having to think which body you've just picked up is invaluable in dynamic shooting situations.

GC

£1700 for a D4 in mid 2019. No thanks even if it is barely used.

They are hard to sell these days, people have ALOT of other options.

D500 easy to sell and get most of your money back after you have your way with it for a couple of years.

Did you get the D4 or D500?

The D4 is the obvious choice for rugby. £1700 isn't a great price, but which is better for sport? Obviously the D4, no question.

Why on earth does it matter how familiar a second D500 would be too you? One or two games in you'd be used to the new body.

£1700 for a D4 in mid 2019. No thanks even if it is barely used.

They are hard to sell these days, people have ALOT of other options.

D500 easy to sell and get most of your money back after you have your way with it for a couple of years.
My local shop has one for under a grand body only, looks in good nick too.

Picked up another D500. Thanks for the help all. Now to save for 300mm 2.8 :oops: :$
nice, probably the best result.

if your saving, you may as well save for two and let me have one ;):LOL:

Last edited:
Really weird how everyone is recommending a D500 when the pros all use D4's and D5's. Bad choice but never mind.

See my post ( #4). When using two bodies together as opposed to as a spare. :)

I saw that, but I don't really understand your point. What does it matter if they're identical? It makes no difference. You want the best camera for action, that is definitively the D4. All the pros use D4s and D5s. You'd get plenty of laughs at the suggestion of using 2 D500s instead of a D4 and a D500.

I saw that, but I don't really understand your point. What does it matter if they're identical? It makes no difference. You want the best camera for action, that is definitively the D4. All the pros use D4s and D5s. You'd get plenty of laughs at the suggestion of using 2 D500s instead of a D4 and a D500.
Makes no Difference eh! Plenty of laughs eh!
If your using two cameras TOGETHER shooting fast moving subjects it helps to have identical, and identically set up cameras.
I suspect anyone with relevant experience will tell you the same.
Having a second camera as a spare / back up is completely different.

NB. I haven't commented on the merits or otherwise of the D500. I stand by the comments I have made.

If your using two cameras TOGETHER shooting fast moving subjects it helps to have identical, and identically set up cameras.

NB. I haven't commented on the merits or otherwise of the D500. I stand by the comments I have made.

:agree: With identical control set ups, the operation becomes intuitive. It's down to muscle memory when swapping between the two on the hurry up.

I ran a D4S alongside a D500 and in the fraction of a second lost in thinking "where's the ISO button?" you can loose the shot.

GC

I often use 3 different models of Canon (1D series, 5D series and 7DII) and don't have any problem coordinating between them.

I often use 3 different models of Canon (1D series, 5D series and 7DII) and don't have any problem coordinating between them.

Never shot with Canon but having just looked at the layout I can understand that, the main controls look in roughly the same position.

GC

It helps in no way whatsoever to have two identically set up cameras. If it's the same manufacturer it makes no difference, you learn the new one's button set-up in an hour.

I have plenty of experience and it's far, far, more important to have a more suitable/better camera, and for rugby, that's one million percent the D4, compared to the D500.

People on here are talking like it's some conundrum to wrap your brain around the ISO button placement. Really weird to read and it's a shame all that "advice" made the original poster choose the wrong camera to purchase. He should have used a D4 for 95% of his action, and then swapped to the D500 for try shots. Oh well.

Last edited:
Not at £1,700 her shouldn't have. You can get a D4S from MPB at that amount.

That's fair enough, £1,700 is far too much, but if we're taking money out of the equation, the D4 would have been the obvious choice. Just get a D4s for the same price instead and then it becomes even more of a no brainer. Ridiculous that "identical set-up" is so important to some on here.

Is there really that much real world difference between the two ?
Done a quick versus search and it’s pretty much 50/50 for which is better, and just seems to boil down to personal choice and please don’t say “pros use them, so must be better” as that’s not a comparison that’s just market use, it could be all they’ve known or what they’ve always used, or a load of other reasons

I’ve been to football games every week for a 2 years or so in lower league and 80/90% of the time another tog is there (from away team or local papers) , I’m still yet to see another Nikon shooter, so by the above statement cannon must be far better than Nikon.

Pound for pound, is the D4 that much better ?

Is there really that much real world difference between the two ?
Done a quick versus search and it’s pretty much 50/50 for which is better, and just seems to boil down to personal choice and please don’t say “pros use them, so must be better” as that’s not a comparison that’s just market use, it could be all they’ve known or what they’ve always used, or a load of other reasons

I’ve been to football games every week for a 2 years or so in lower league and 80/90% of the time another tog is there (from away team or local papers) , I’m still yet to see another Nikon shooter, so by the above statement cannon must be far better than Nikon.

Pound for pound, is the D4 that much better ?

Erm, the D500 is a crop sensor, the D4 is full frame, so that's a pretty huge difference to start with. The D4 also has much better ISO performance, very important for sports. And 'the pros use them' is absolutely a good indicator. It's for the above reasons + a fast autofocus

I always found working in Wales over many years covering rugby was wether the camera could repel the rain. lol Also beer splashes, most important that.

Attachments

• Rugby in the rain.jpg
    Rugby in the rain.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 25
Back