Used Nikon - Might as well buy Grey as UK stock?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to get a used D610 (budget doesn't permit new) and thought I'd just check out the validity of warranty with Nikon UK. Spoke to a lady named Marina at the service centre who told me that once a camera is registered with Nikon UK then only that person can make a claim on the warranty. I postulated the case of somebody buying a used six month old camera privately and then needing warranty work done and she reiterated that if the camera had already been registered by the first owner then Nikon wouldn't extend the warranty to the new owner - the warranty isn't transferable.

In short, then, you buy a used Nikon from Ebay or a forum such as this one and if it's already been registered then you are buying a camera without guarantee. Better, then, to look at the grey market??

Rob

I don't know about eBay sellers but i have certainly read on here that should there be any warranty problems, some sellers would facilitate a warranty claim. Might just be a TP people kind of thing.
I have never bought a grey import so have no experience/opinion that I could offer.

Last edited:
I have bought second hand and grey market kit and the price difference between the two is very small and the D610 is cheaper grey market from HDEW which includes a 3year warranty than from MPB with only a 6 month warranty. I have used both of these companies and they both have great customer service, I had a problem with a lens from MPB and they sorted it very quickly. In the case of a D610 i'd be buying from HDEW.

I maybe wrong, but as far as I know, only Fuji of the big companies will warrant the transfer of equipment, providing you have the original receipt.

Also as Iain has pointed out, its good will gesture to act as a go between if you purchase something from here and it develops a fault, the original seller will then claim on warranty. When I have sold warranted goods I have stated that new purchaser would be responsible for postage costs, but I would claim on the warranty if needed. Has never happend though in my small amount of sales.

As Matt has said I would buy the D610 from HDEW.

As for gray, the price difference can be a lot and the difference of being able to afford the camera or lens. You only have to look at the D750 for instance, for comparison of prices from UK or HK / HDEW.

Last edited:
Not just cameras,none transferable warranty's come on all sorts goods.
The other thing to be careful with if buying secondhand from ebay instead of new gray,you could be buying gray anyway.

Must admit, I didn't realise any warranty was transferable with the exception of big ticket items like cars and houses so good on Fuji.

I've just bought a Nikon D750 on the grey market and saved about 30% on the best price in the UK. Only time will tell if I regret it but I chose a reputable (hopefully) supplier (panamoz) who offered a 3 yr warranty as well (think UK is only 1yr - ignoring EU laws!). Panamoz have retained the warranty card and the items purchased from them will need to go back to them to be repaired.

I don't know about eBay sellers but i have certainly read on here that should there be any warranty problems, some sellers would facilitate a warranty claim. Might just be a TP people kind of thing.
I have never bought a grey import so have no experience/opinion that I could offer.

Some sellers do say that but to me it means nothing, theres no guarantee to say the seller would want to when it comes to it, the seller may have even left teh forum (for genuine reasons) or it might just not work.

Anything sold on these forums is second hand without warranty unless the price includes VAT!!!

Hi. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, which is why I put the post up. Just goes to show my naivete, I suppose. If I get a camera under UK warranty I will have to ensure the first owner is willing to play ball as a go-between.

Rob

As an aside I called HDEW who operate exactly the same warrranty policy as Nikon (albet it's three years, not two). Tried to get Panmoz but the customer "service" answerphone asks me to leave a message.....

Seriously thinking about splashing the extra hundred or so and getting a new body from HDEW.... Just wondering what repairs cost these days.....

Rob

Panamoz are good at answering emailed questions. When one of my lenses went a bit soft they asked me to send it to Nikon and then cheerfully and instantly reimbursed me the cost. Also, they are happy to transfer their 3 year warranty to a new owner - they just needed the new owner's name and address info.

As an aside I called HDEW who operate exactly the same warrranty policy as Nikon (albet it's three years, not two). Tried to get Panmoz but the customer "service" answerphone asks me to leave a message.....

Seriously thinking about splashing the extra hundred or so and getting a new body from HDEW.... Just wondering what repairs cost these days.....

Rob

At a guess, the repairs and D610 body purchase would be more than the new price at HDEW. The body new is £885 at HDEW, what is the current rate for secondhand ones privately??? MPB have some at £979.00.

It's a no brainer for me, new camera with three year warranty or secondhand with six months warranty and £94.00 more.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that it was a bit like Apple - just don't mention that there's an owner change - that if the serial was registered for 2 years (or you had a receipt) then they wouldn't ask questions for repairs...I've not known it to happen (but would welcome any stories of anyone that has had problems!)

At a guess, the repairs and D610 body purchase would be more than the new price at HDEW. The body new is £885 at HDEW, what is the current rate for secondhand ones privately??? MPB have some at £979.00.

It's a no brainer for me, new camera with three year warranty or secondhand with six months warranty and £94.00 more.

Same here :)

Nikon will, in reality, repair second hand equipment FOC if it's still in its warranty period. Atleast that's been my experience. It appears on the bill as 'goodwill'.

Last edited:
Back