Users of 50D and 5D mk1 - feedback

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I currently have a 30d and 50d and am considering either a second 50d or a used 5d mark I and am interested in the experience of people who have had (preferably) or used both and what there thoughts are.

Indeed. I have a 24-105 IS L, 70-200 F4 IS L and a Tokina 12-24. I do mainly weddings and portraits for work but I do a bit of photojournalism and I love street photography and candids. I'm looking to get probably an 85mm 1.8 which I know would be better on a full frame. I can live without the fps *** i would keep the 50d but I would like to know what noise is like really. I only shoot raw and do my editing in cs4 so I'm not fussed about onboard noise reduction.

5D Mk1 goes up to 3200 ISO and its usable at that level with some noise reduction in PP. If you have LR3, then you'll have no issue at all.

I've heard some say that the 40D handles noise better than the 50D, but having owned neither, I can't provide proof.

Both of these were taken last night using a 5D, 24-70mm f/2.8 at 3200 ISO (click for bigger if you're logged into flickr)

Book Launch by mobilevirgin, on Flickr

Its better not explained by mobilevirgin, on Flickr

If noise is a concern to you then the 5D is much better than the 50D (when I tested them it was about 1 to 1.5 stops once you get over ISO 400). Your problem will be that your wide angle will not work on full frame (though the 24-105 is perfect on a 5), so you will either need to swap that for a full frame lens, or not have a wide angle for the 5.

Actually for the stuff you shoot, it might be nice to get a 5D and then sell one of your bodies for a 1D2 (considering that they are down to about £500 used now). Both of these cameras will have better high ISO performance than your current cameras.

Last edited:
I had a pixel peep at those shots and they were awesome. Did you do much in LR3 to them. Is it really that good for noise reduction or was the 5D just that good to begin with?

And thanks for the ideas franchiseJuan, I will give them serious consideration

When I first switched from a 20D to a 5D a number of years ago, the first thing I thought to myself is 'Where did the noise go?'.

Pixel for pixel it is still one of the best high ISO performers today.

Oh and if you mainly use centre AF point, the 5D is noticeably better at focusing than the 50D.

I had a pixel peep at those shots and they were awesome. Did you do much in LR3 to them. Is it really that good for noise reduction or was the 5D just that good to begin with?

Its a bit of both, really. The 5D is good; LR3 is good - just pulled the NR slider to the right a touch.

Here's a shot with the 5D at 3200 ISO, 50mm f/1.4 and no noise reduction at all - taken before LR3 was released. Sure, there's noise, but its a very usable shot.

ONE by mobilevirgin, on Flickr

Well this has given me lots to think about. Especially as the 24-105 would be awesome on a 5D.They go for about £800 ish on the trade section. If I were to sell my 30D it would help and I suppose my 12-24 if I'm thinking long term. I could manage with the 24 end on the 5d

If you really need full frame wide angle on the cheap then the best option is probably going to be a 17-40, and with lightroom now having distortion correction built in, it is actually usable all the way to the wide end.

Even cheaper a used Sigma 15-35. I saw one of those used for around £200 recently.

Oh stop, I'm getting too excited at the possibilities. Actually don't stop. But I will have to work out the order I get everything it to make sure i'm not stranded without something. I think I will keep my 50d as I also have a 60mm macro which I'm happy with and I would like the crop for the telephoto end but I will get rid of the 30d and 12-24 (which I somehow just can't get to grips with really - the lens that is)

I tried a 50D and thought it was a wonderful camera until I tried a 5D which simply blew me away. I couldn't find one fast enough. I'm not sure what it is but there is some mysterious alchemy going on. At the current price - around the £700 mark - for a good one, the 5D seems like the bargain of the century to me.

The only issues for me with the 5D are that only really the centre point AF is usable with fast lenses, and that the screen is pretty hopeless outside.

The only issues for me with the 5D are that only really the centre point AF is usable with fast lenses, and that the screen is pretty hopeless outside.

That's not much of a problem to me because my main lenses are f4 and the screen is about the same as my 30D and I can live with it although the screen on the 50d is awesome.

Back