Critique Using 600mm Zoom for Close-ups

Yes I think it works, I quite often use my 200 - 500 or 70-300 lens for larger insect shots as it allows more working distance but does mean you are less likely to get larger sized prints (A4 and above) in my opinion so depends on what you want to do with then.

The big advantage is that you can get a close-up of insects from 3m away and not frighten the insect away.

Its a very nice image Steve, no denying that (y)
But as Duncan ( @THIRTYFIVEMILL )said above it seems you can never get the full detail as you would, from a dedicated lens ...
Of course someone will be along shortly to disprove that :D

I use the Nikon 600mm f4 sometimes for different types of shots - just depends how I feel

Both these images were taken with the Nikon 600mm f4 + Nikon TC x 1.4 - therefore (850mm, effective) and @ f5.6 - D750 on a tripod

I was probably taking bird shots in the garden at the time - no birds around so - point & shoot!

(but I do use the Nikon 300mm quite a lot for flowers/similar)

TP_600_f5.6_1.jpg

TP_600_f5.6_2.jpg

Last edited:
I think this works well, I often use my 150-600 for close ups when you have no chance of using a dedicated macro lens
with some good results, I wouldn't expect the same details you'd get with the macro lens.

Thanks for all your comments, it appears that others share my thoughts as to if this shot works. Perhaps some explanation, normally I take a 2nd camera with macro lens out when birding, but on this occasion I did not and as there were not any birds about, I turned to other subjects. Flowers are also not one of my normal subjects so I have no real basis to critique my own work. Thanks again, here is another from the same day...
Red Admiral.jpg

Steve, with macro shots you're generally looking for all of the subject to be in focus and sharp, lots of subject detail and the background to be as out of focus as possible. If you look at the shots that @BillN_33 posted, that's what you're after. With macro shots you're often stopping down to between f8-f16 or even more, unless you're looking for very selective focus on a part of the subject. So the background either needs some distance from the subject or you're using a dedicated macro lens that will better segragate the subject from even a near background. A lot of people get good results using longer lenses and close up filters.

I use a 300mm Nikon + x1.4TC for most of my Dragonfly and Butterfly shots - you can keep a distance and not disturb the subject

all these shots are at 420mm

(the lens can allow you to create a "different" micro shot - which I quite like)

TP_Southern_Skimmer_1.jpg

TP_Ruddy_Darter_1.jpg

TP_Violet_DW_1.jpg

TP_Butterfy_Japan_1.jpg

it's just a matter of practice and reviewing your shots and making changes is needed

Last edited:
I use a 300mm Nikon + x1.4TC for most of my Dragonfly and Butterfly shots - you can keep a distance and not disturb the subject

(the lens can allow you to create a "different" micro shot - which I quite like)

TP_Ruddy_Darter.jpg

TP_Violet_DW.jpg

TP_Southern_Skimmer.jpg

it's just a matter of practice and reviewing your shots and making changes is needed
I was just about to upload some of my Dragon photos I took last weekend with my Sigma 150-600 lens at 600mm. Much detail is visible but they are not quite as good as yours so I am not going to bother. Long lenses are quite capable of producing good micro shots.

I was just about to upload some of my Dragon photos I took last weekend with my Sigma 150-600 lens at 600mm. Much detail is visible but they are not quite as good as yours so I am not going to bother. Long lenses are quite capable of producing good micro shots.

Thanks John - I'm sure all mine were on a Tripod - except the Butterfly

Steve, with macro shots you're generally looking for all of the subject to be in focus and sharp, lots of subject detail and the background to be as out of focus as possible. If you look at the shots that @BillN_33 posted, that's what you're after. With macro shots you're often stopping down to between f8-f16 or even more, unless you're looking for very selective focus on a part of the subject. So the background either needs some distance from the subject or you're using a dedicated macro lens that will better segragate the subject from even a near background. A lot of people get good results using longer lenses and close up filters.

Thanks for the comments, not really after macro just closeup without having to take 2 camera's and lenses. This was also at 600mm. They rarely stay still long enough for me to closer with a macro lens, so a long lens get me some shots I would miss otherwise. PS I am still undecided about the original post of the Rose.

PS How is your son getting on with that 200mm Zoom !

Chaser Dragonfly.jpg

TP_Ruddy_Darter_1.jpg

TP_Violet_DW_1.jpg

TP_Butterfy_Japan_1.jpg

Snap! I use the same setup for most of my Dragonfly/Butterfly stuff

Thanks for the comments, not really after macro just closeup without having to take 2 camera's and lenses. This was also at 600mm. They rarely stay still long enough for me to closer with a macro lens, so a long lens get me some shots I would miss otherwise. PS I am still undecided about the original post of the Rose.

PS How is your son getting on with that 200mm Zoom !

View attachment 325829

That last shot looks decent, mate. Thank you for asking! He's doing great mate. We're currently on holiday in Brighstone "Grange Farm". He's got his camera and your lens with him but he's a tad more interested in football and mine-craft at present. He'll get there, tho, and I'm incredibly grateful for your kindness. Let's grab a coffee soon now we can!.

TP_Ruddy_Darter_1.jpg

TP_Violet_DW_1.jpg

TP_Butterfy_Japan_1.jpg

Those are stunning. Thanks for posting those Bill.

Back