Using a 3 Dongle on Apple Mac Book Pro

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I bought one yesterday, very nice indeed..;-)

I have a problem, anybody use a 3 dongle with theirs?

To cut a long story short, mine is not recognised on the Mac, after phoning three I was told I need to install Rosetta to help install the dongle, phone Apple, Rosetta installed, still no dongle, they tell me to go back to 3.

Phone 3 and they tell me they cannot help as the dongle does not show up on my Mac.

Phone Apple and they tell me they cannot help as the dongle does not show up on the Mac!!

So, both cannot help as Apple don't belong to 3 and 3 don't belong to Apple.:bang:

Help anyone?
Thanks.

My O2 dongle works fine.

Hassle 3 - it's their hardware, their problem.

Ok, I'll finish this now.

I spoke to both 3 and Apple as I said neither were really interested.

I was away for a couple of days last week and one of them I stayed at the Meadowhall Travelodge, decided to call in to Apple at Meadowhall, explained my problems and they suggested upgrading my 3 Dongle as it was four years old.
Did this and still it didn't work, went back to Apple store in Meadowhall and they suggested taking out a 02 contract as they work, ok, did this and it worked perfect(well done CB).

Now the fun started.

I couldn't try the 02 dongle until the day after I got it, at this point I was back home in Wellingborough.

My next step was to phone 3 and cancel the upgrade contract I had taken out in Sheffield, they tell me I cannot cancel over the phone but have to call into the store I renewed my contract with, I told them that was not possible as I didn't live in Sheffield.

I phone Sheffield 3 store and explain this and they tell me they cannot cancel it, I have to phone 3....I told them I did that and they say you have to do it.

So after more calls between the two even including a conference call with the three of us, both 3 parties were agreed that if I couldn't get to Meadowhall Sheffield to cancel my contract, I'm stuck with it!!

I had had enough of this so I sent my 3 dongle back to Sheffield via registered post and I am now awaiting their next move.

I would point out all this was done within my right to cancel time.

So, why are 3 being so ****** about this?

I had had enough of this so I sent my 3 dongle back to Sheffield via registered post and I am now awaiting their next move.

I would point out all this was done within my right to cancel time.

So, why are 3 being so ****** about this?

Are you sure it was within their time frame? USB dongles only have a 3 day "satisfaction" return (there is no "right" to return something bought in store if the item itself is not faulty).

You also used the term "upgrade", most networks dont allow any return (outside SOGA) for upgrades, other than at the discretion of individual managers.

3 USB Modems - If you’re a new Mobile Broadband customer and for some reason you change your mind, you can return your 3 USB Modem within three days of purchase. If you purchased it via telesales or online, you can return your 3 USB Modem within 14 days of receipt provided you have not used it for more than three consecutive days. You'll also have to return the original boxed accessories and documentation ‘as new’.

In all circumstances
To return your phone or USB Modem it’s important you follow the instructions below exactly.

Act as soon as possible
To meet the terms of our guarantee, eligible returns must be made within the timeframes shown above.

To return your mobile
To get your full refund under the returns policy, you must return your mobile along with the original boxed accessories and documentation ‘as new’ to the retailer within the timeframes shown above. You’ll also need to provide your receipt as proof of purchase. If you are unsure what to do or who to contact, call 08707 330 333 and we’ll advise you if you’re eligible under this returns policy and how to return your mobile and original boxed accessories. Always keep copies of your receipt and proof of postage.
http://ask3.three.co.uk/SRVS/Data/Hutch/KnowledgeBases/Ask3/document/web/retail1.htm

I had the same problem with 3 some years ago. Was offered a dongle trial for 14 days, assured it would work in our area. In the entire time I never got a signal once. But 3 were not happy about taking the dongle back. Had to make several calls and ended up, like you, mailing it registered post with a letter saying they could sing for any money.

I have both Orange and Vodaphone dongles, both recognised and work in my MacBook without the need to install 3rd party applications. Only problem is as soon as I plug in either dongle, both Orange and Vodaphone control panels launch and they knock each other out :bang: So I have to CMD Q very quickly as soon as the 'rival' control panel launches. I get on fine with both. I have had Orange for years and although the dongle is ancient, it works great.

Right Three has absolutely horrendous customer service BUT and it is a fairly big but really they have great service coverage and excellent prices. Currently on 15GB for 12£ a month...

You do not need Rosetta just a bit of patience with installing the drivers. You also would need a different sent of drivers than the ones that come with dongle.

I have been using my 3 dongle for ever really loving the service hating the customer service. If you decide to go back to them I'll link you to the drivers I am talking about.

A quick Google search could tell you how you get the 3 dongle working... used my 3 dongle for couple of years on MacBook Pro.. never had any issues..

Download the new software and you should be away..I had big problems when I got it, in the end just had to find a spoons nearby to use wifi, to DL the new software, annoying, but it worked for moi.. Paul

I am surprised it didn't "just work". The dongle I have, about 2 years old now, worked immediately on Mac OS X 10.4, and that wasn't even on a real Mac.

Back