Using a 55-250 IS for Trackdays

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive recently decided that I would like to start getting images from track days, as I am interested in both cars and camera's it seemed a likely conclusion!

I am on a somewhat limited budget, and was wondering how the Canon 55-250 IS F4-5.6 would perform as my tele-photo track day lens?

It seems to be the best in its price bracket <£250

I appreciate that lenses such as the 70-200L IS would be better, but I dont have anything like that kind of money!

Cheers

Within reason, you can use anything for anything! A couple of years ago I did a trackday at Bedford and took a friend along with me. When not driving, I was taking pics with an 18-200mm Sigma, he was using a Nikon D90 with a 50mm f1.8 as it's the only lens he'd remembered to bring. After chatting to a friendly marshall who let us stand at his post on the inside of the last corner, trackside, he got some cracking shots because his technique was excellent.

Ive used it for about 8 months now. Its a good little lens, got some cracking results with it. If you want i will post some pics up

Its OK. I have one as a backup.

I find that coming from a lens that has fully internal focussing it can awkward to hold. Its not a bad little lens. The other cheap option is the Sigma 70-300 APO, but the Canon has IS.

HI Nick

The 55-250IS lens is a cracker and you'll get some good results with it on a track day. My daughter uses one and gets great results.

As you say, the 70-200F4 is a much better lens, but also has a much better price tag :LOL:

Another lens to think about - will mean stretching your budget a little, is the Canon 70-300IS (not the new L version) - I would have thought you could pick up a 2nd hand model under £300 mark.

Hope this helps....

Jessops interest free credit = canon ef 70-200 f2.8 L is usm mk11

Yeah, I used one as my first lens for motorsport. It's a good little lens if a little short for some circuits. You can still get great images with it.

I have the 55-250 is lens also ive not used it for motorsport but got some good shots at football matches;)

Back