Using a compact with a polariser?

More superzoom than compact but the Canon SX60 can squeeze a 58mm filter on the lens barrel (but visible at wide angle) or a 67mm filter if using the canon step up adapter (not visible wide angle).

I have used the canon adapter with a 67mm circular polariser filter and did find it useful for those situations where it would benefit

You can get the Lee Seven5 kits for smaller cameras. Depends how compact you're going for and of course if they have a filter thread. There's grads, little stopper etc for it. If you're going for a compact I'd probably say you're looking at one that has full manual control to allow you to change settings based on any filters you'd use.

I've not used one with a polariser or other filters before.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I won't be buying a filter kit for it but I'd like to have the option of using a polariser in particular. I know I can hand hold a grad against a lens rim if I need to. but not a polariser as well!

Yes, I'll be looking for as much manual control as possible.

Hold a pol against the front of the compact's lens and rotate to get the required effect. There's also a Cokin gizmo that screws into the tripod hole and allows the use of square filters. Google will find it for you, I'm sure!

Hold a pol against the front of the compact's lens and rotate to get the required effect. There's also a Cokin gizmo that screws into the tripod hole and allows the use of square filters. Google will find it for you, I'm sure!

Thanks for that, Nod. I see they do a magnetic filter holder as well. I'll have to invstigate.

I've recently got a LX100, and that has a filter thread on the lens - got a 43 - 52mm step ring which allows me to use my 52mm circular polariser quite nicely..

Back