Using a DVI-I to DP adaptor?

Edit My Images
No
My video card is the nVidia GT610, it is quite old now but does have DVI-I (which I use now) plus HDMI and VGA ports. The max digital resolution is 2560x1600 for this card.

Looking ahead to when I replace/update my monitor perhaps to a 27" screen, the current generation of monitors in the main have DP and mini-DP with many also still having HDMI.

As I understand it HDMI has various standards depending on the age of the card (a little like USB1 through now to USB3.1 ?) so though I could likely use the HDMI connection on my card it is possible it may not conform to get the best out of the screen?

Hence the question, I have seen that there are DVI to DP adaptors though not 100% sure that they are two way i.e. card DVI to screen DP & card DP to screen DVI ?

Has anyone used such adaptors and gotten the anticipated performance i.e. in my case DVI-I card port > adaptor > DP port on the screen at, in the case of a 27" screen, the full 2560x1440 resolution???

TIA for any insights and advice as to the above being possible & logical and which adaptor make & model to get? :)

You will need a dual link DVI adapter, not just any simple DVI.

You are very unlikely to get more than full hd with old spec hdmi

Thanks for the pointers :)

The GT610 spec says the DVI port is a Dual Port DVI-I, so that 'matches' with what you say about the appropriate adaptor.

As I understand it HDMI has various standards depending on the age of the card (a little like USB1 through now to USB3.1 ?) so though I could likely use the HDMI connection on my card it is possible it may not conform to get the best out of the screen?
According to this site, the max resolution with your card is indeed more limited (1920 x 1200) with an HDMI connection:

http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-NVIDIA/GeForce_GT_610.html

But perhaps you'll need to get a new card anyway, because even the maximum DVI resolution isn't enough to drive (e.g.) a 4K monitor.

According to this site, the max resolution with your card is indeed more limited (1920 x 1200) with an HDMI connection:

But perhaps you'll need to get a new card anyway, because even the maximum DVI resolution isn't enough to drive (e.g.) a 4K monitor.

What you say above does ring bells :thinking:

But unless there is a limitation using a DVI to DP adaptor I surmise I should get the full 2560x1600 resolution which would be a good stopgap.....and drive say a Dell or BenQ 27inch IPS panel???

PS for example a Dell 2716D gets good review(s) and the price point for such a well spec'ed monitor (gamut coverage) is not too bad. (NB I think there is a close in spec BenQ at tad lower price???)

PPS in regard to the card..........if I should have the space it would allow me to dual up with this in use Dell 2209W via the VGA connector ;)

Last edited:

Yep, that won't work with 4K monitor but if OP only gets 2.5K it doesn't really matter. Of course it might be tempting to get the very best and latest. If the card is easy to swap out I might be tempted to. But only if everything else on the PC is reasonably modern, ie. USB3, SSDs etc.

What you say above does ring bells :thinking:

But unless there is a limitation using a DVI to DP adaptor I surmise I should get the full 2560x1600 resolution which would be a good stopgap.....and drive say a Dell or BenQ 27inch IPS panel???

PS for example a Dell 2716D gets good review(s) and the price point for such a well spec'ed monitor (gamut coverage) is not too bad. (NB I think there is a close in spec BenQ at tad lower price???)

PPS in regard to the card..........if I should have the space it would allow me to dual up with this in use Dell 2209W via the VGA connector ;)

In a 27" you'll get 2560x1440. The 30" are fatter so you'd get the full load of pixels.

UP2716D (or any with UP**** code) are great and so are top of the line Benq. It is worth to remember they are not 4K, so at some point I'd expect their resale values to basically nosedive. I'm in the market for one and that is what is stopping me from buying this new.

I honestly would leave VGA only as a very last resort. Better get another cheap used video card if you have a spare slot.

Running vga next to digital always looked slightly fuzzy on a lot of cards in my experience.

A lot of budget cards will allow decent resolution on multiple digital outputs these days.

The only reason, if space allowed, to use the 2209W as dual is for placing LR palettes on (or any other such programs like DxO that let you shift them onto secondary screen) leaving the primary screen for image viewing & processing. So as I perceive it VGA would likely be fine :)

PS in regard to palettes on secondary screen, I would (having read of this elsewhere) turn the 2209W to portrait orientation....the added benefit being that this would take up less horizontal space!

Last edited:
In regard to the Dual Link DVI-I to DP adaptor, is there any particular make I should look out for as to quality and 'performance'.....or are they all much the same???

I suspect you're going to struggle finding a suitable adapter. All the ones I see on eBay and Amazon are DP to DVI and are uni-directional.
A new video card is a better option and a basic GT 1030 will give HDMI 2.0b which is good for 4K. Just make sure you buy one with GDDR5 rather than DDR4 memory as the latter are much slower.

I have two Dell 2209W monitors, NVIDIA GTX 750Ti card. One monitor is connected DVI to DVI and the other is connected HDMi to a HDMi to DVI adapter. Had this setup for years and it works fine. One monitor is slightly brighter than the other but I know what one is accurate so use that for editing.

Back