Using a monopod with walkabout lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have a Nikon 18-70mm lens which is fine for what I need, quality wise. However, I find that I'm unable to get consistently sharp photos in certain situations I use it for. Therefore, I'm contemplating replacing it with a VR lens of a similar range.

However, a monopod would be quite a bit cheaper - does anyone have any experience of using one with a walkabout lens in-place of VR? I do have a tripod, but find it sufficiently cumbersome that it stays in the bag in my cupboard :shake:

Any thoughts?

I have a mono and tripod but to be honest never needed to use either with a walkabout lenses, apart from landscape or low light shots, and then its the tripod.

Monopod is used with my 70-200 only if required.

Have you tried a higher ISO?

A higher ISO won't help me. I could solve my problem by using the tripod, but I find it too cumbersome to take out and about. I seem to have pretty shaky hands, so even though my stance is pretty firm, I'm unable to hand hold at shutter speeds from 1/30s to 1/10s. I figured a monopod would help me, as it's small enough to carry as a walking stick, but would hopefully provide enough stability to get some sharp pictures.

Maybe I should just get a VR lens? ;-)

I would like to meet the person that can hand hold at 1/10 lol

There's your problem, camera shake.

I can do it quite happily with a VR lens. Or with my LX3 (smaller I know). However, I can do it.

Anyway, does anyone use a monopod for anything other than big, big lenses?

Yes, those of us with shaky hands use a monopod from time to time. You didn't say which camera you use but if it's got a metal body you'd have to pay more for a more sturdy monopod. I use a lightweight Star 8 with my new D5100 and it's given me some quite steady shots.

I've got a monopod, and it is sitting unused in a corner collecting dust. It is very cumbersome to use, and certainly requires a decent head, but is not that stable either. Tripod is not that much bulky to carry but is far more useful. I could only see myself using monopod with big fat white lenses, which I don't have.
A VR lens will obviously help you in some certain situations, but really at 1/10s it is already very risky. You really need a tripod, or lens, that you could open up, and perhaps higher and cleaner ISO.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I should maybe keep an eye out for a VR replacement lens, or just not be so lazy and take my tripod.

Walkabout suggests outdoors to me so either you're walking about in the middle of the night or you're shooting at the wrong aperture if you're having to shoot that slow.

...................... or you're shooting at the wrong aperture if you're having to shoot that slow.

I have Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand, and found slow shutter speeds <1/60sec were a problem

if i go specifically landscape - a heavy Manfrotto tripod is used

but a 'walkabout' normally implies good weather so see post ^^^^

I set the ISO to 200, and the ISO override option to 1600 max and 1/100 min
with a 18-70 mm non VR lens...better a bit of grain than blur IMO

i also carry a bean-bag [bought here] - very useful on a fence post or wall..(y)

i uses the same lens on my D7000 and have no problem with sharpness etc. What sort of stuff you shooting that require you to use tripod/monopod?

Well for example, photos with water or movement of some kind. I might want to lower the shutter speed for creative effect. I'm not expecting miracles but would like the ability to take photos and add some movement.

Well for example, photos with water or movement of some kind. I might want to lower the shutter speed for creative effect. I'm not expecting miracles but would like the ability to take photos and add some movement.

well if you want water movement images you WILL need a tripod

my last ones were taken at 1/2 sec.....and not too slow an effect at that ..!

DSC_0509_-_Copy-web.jpg
[/IMG]

I find I get more camera shake using a monopod! :)

:D..never understood putting a camera on the end of a long stick

hold the camera with left hand under the lens, elbows in, brace yourself against a wall, tree whatever - should be ok for 1/60, especially with VR/OS

at 68 i need all the help i can get.

i use....vr, monopod, high iso and high shutter speed

d in w

I would like to meet the person that can hand hold at 1/10 lol

There's your problem, camera shake.

I can what is so hard about 1/10th of a second.

I would not be at all concerned years ago holding my Nikon F with 50mm at 1/15th of a second.

People today rely too much on VR rather than learning to hold and brace yourself and breathing shallow.

I also use a monopod a lot with a gimbal, it is ideal for wildlife and sports.

Last edited:
Back