Using a PC sync cable

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a PC sync cable which has a "male" end and the other end is a small jack plug. I thought I could use this to trigger my flash off-camera but both my camera and flashgun only have the "male" sockets - no jack plug socket. If I buy a male-male sync cable will I be able to use my flash in full TTL mode and use functions such as rear-curtain sync? I have an off-camera flash cord which allows this but it's too short except for hand-held stuff. Basically I want that flash on a stand about 5 metres away from the camera, controlled reliably by a physical lead.

Cheers!:thinking:

I have a PC sync cable which has a "male" end and the other end is a small jack plug. I thought I could use this to trigger my flash off-camera but both my camera and flashgun only have the "male" sockets - no jack plug socket. If I buy a male-male sync cable will I be able to use my flash in full TTL mode and use functions such as rear-curtain sync? I have an off-camera flash cord which allows this but it's too short except for hand-held stuff. Basically I want that flash on a stand about 5 metres away from the camera, controlled reliably by a physical lead.

Cheers!:thinking:

No, you will only get basic manual x-sync flash firing off the PC socket. You won't even get second-curtain as that's an E-TTL function with Canons.

You need a long E-TTL cord.

as far as i am aware a flash sync cable will only fir the flash no ttl data will be used
you could try hooking 2 or 3 flash extension cords together to get the reach you need
or i'm pretty sure you could get a 3 -5 mtr extension cord from somewhere

ahh
hoppyuk got there before me

Kewl. I can get a 10m TTL lead on Ebay for £17.50. Beats paying for Pocket Wizards.

Kewl. I can get a 10m TTL lead on Ebay for £17.50. Beats paying for Pocket Wizards.

Remember 10m is the fully uncoiled length, in reality you only get a fraction of that that can be used, so even with one of those you need to be fairly close to your speedlight, unless you fancy risking pulling the stand over if you move....

You can aslo buy two 10m TTL leads and join them together..............it'll give you about 8m :LOL:

Or, if you are feeling ambitious you can splice a cat5 cable into two existing ttl cords. Search the web, I've seen a couple of tutorials for doing this about.
Never tried it though.

Back