Using Affinity Photo - Layers help please?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have some pictures that I am trying to cut out and place on a black background - too much rubbish surrounding the focus.

I would like to select the subject and add a black layer behind the subject. I can do everything part from I have a thought process failure despite some successes! I have no idea how I did it. I can do the selective copy, just cannot work out how I added the layer behind in black. I can add further layers but making them black is the issue.

So I am trying to go from this:

Lottie-2%20SML_zpswrc9n1zw.jpg

To this:

Lottie-2%20-%20final%20-%20SML_zpsy0taegbo.jpg

I understand that most of this could have been done in camera rather than the messing about - but I have no idea how to do the yet either!

Any thought on the post processing issue gratefully received. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I hadn't done it once!

Last edited:
I don,t use Affinity photo but in PS I would make the selection and then new layer>layer via copy then I would create a new layer, fill with colour ( black in your case) and put the selection on top of the new layer by dragging the selection.
Hope this helps

I don,t use Affinity photo but in PS I would make the selection and then new layer>layer via copy then I would create a new layer, fill with colour ( black in your case) and put the selection on top of the new layer by dragging the selection.
Hope this helps

Thanks - will have another look later. Drives me crazy when I did something but immediately forget how I did it!

In the photo persona create a new layer on top. Using the wand make a selection from the BG image layer and use the "add to/subtract from" functions to refine the selection. Then make the new/top layer active and paint the selection w/ black... Repeat as necessary to get everything selected/painted, then mask/feather/blur as desired to suit.
There's probably a quicker way, but I'm not fluent w/ the program.

Last edited:
Is this what you are trying to do

Thank you - but no not really. In fact I found that when I was looking to do what I wanted and just found it more confusing than helpful. I suspect that I have too little photoshop knowledge. In fact maybe I should just go back to Photoshop Elements.

Back