Using film lenses on a Canon 400D

Name
Keith Fusco
Edit My Images
Yes
It would fit and it would autofocus aswell. All EF lenses will fit your 400D, and those that AF will too on your dSLR. If you find an ED lens (which go really cheap on fleabay) you would need an adaptor and it would be manual focusing only!

Well, not really sure, just google for an ED-EF adaptor.

And yes, you are correct for the rest!

Or you might want to Google for an FD-to-EF adapter.

Canon's lens mount prior to about 1987 was known as FD, not ED.

Awesome, so film EF lenses will work with the 400D, and will also have autofocus?

And all ED lenses would need an adaptor, and have only manual focus, correct?

What's the adaptor I'd need?

Keith,

Just to get the terminology straightened out....

EF lens are electro-focus....not film or digital specific, simply a lens and any Canon EF lens is compatible with today's digital bodies no matter when it was manufactured.

ED lenses...I'm guessing that you mean FD lenses which were the previous generation from Canon and operated with a mechanical aperture but manual focus.

Adaptors are made and there are two varieties;
The first type are simply mount converters which allow FD lenses to mount on your EOS body. They contain no glass but the downside is that infinity focus isn't possible....the maximum focus distance will vary with the original focal length of the lens in question.
The second type of adaptor has a corrective element which allows infinity focus but has a detremental effect on the quality of the final image. Back in the eighties, Canon made an adaptor that gave reasonable results but obviously impacted EF sales so it was stopped....one of these rare beasties comes at a premium (pricewise).

I use a glassless adapter for some macro lenses and other equipment I have but inifinity focus isn't required.

In short, you'll be disappointed with the results from an FD lens on an EOS body unless you're working close up. If you are still considering the use of an adaptor, get back to me and I'll dig out some info.

Edit....lots of posts whilst I was typing...hence the duplicated info

Bob

Basically, I was after some cheap prime lenses for use on my camera, so I can experiment with them. I was after a 10-20mm, and a 50mm, maybe some others. For the digital camera, they're about £250+, but I don't have that cash at the moment, so for the odd tenner for a lens, and the same for a adaptor, I'd rather pay that just to play around with them, and if I like 'em then upgrade to digital one's.

The same for some macro lenses. I wanted a cheap film macro lens with play with, as the one's for the 400D are dear, and I'm on a budget due to getting married soon.

Just thought of it as a good alternate to use for the moment.

Keith,

For macro, I'd recommend the 50mm f/3.5....this can be used with a glassless adaptor and produces similar quality images to the EF100/2.8 that Canon sells today.

For a full adaptor the 28/2.8, 35/2.8 or the 135/2.8 are all usable options and available cheap in good quantities.

The adaptors are cheap enough and a glassless one will knock you back around £10. The glass filled corrective ones come in a little more expensive...£20 for a cheap one that will have you tearing your hair out and around £45 for a better quality Kood manufactured one...it's still not going to be as good as using an EF lens as the glass is very close to the rear element of the FD lens you mate with it.

Bob

I doubt you will find many 10mm lenses designed for 35mm film cameras as these ultra wide lenses are mainly optimised for the digital 1.6x crop, they wouldn't work on full frame DSLRs either...

So they are! I swear the last time I looked they were a lot dearer. I think I'll just go for a digital one.

How about the 10-20mm, is it worth it getting a film one, and adaptor, or just waiting, and buying a digital one?
I think 20-35 was the widest zoom Canon made for FD mount and 17mm was the widest rectilinear prime. The were two fisheyes made 7.5mm circular and 15mm full frame.

Bob

Back