Using FX Macro on DX Camera

Name
Anonymous
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently possess a Nikon D5500 and I am in the market for a dedicated macro lens. I made a thread recently about purchasing a 70mm Sigma but I've managed to offload it.

Personally, I'm looking for lens with a slight telephoto reach. 105mm seems ideal for me as I'd also like the lens to double up for portraiture. The Nikon & Sigma variants seem slightly pricy for me but 1 lens that does seem to keep coming within my budget is the Tamron 90mm Macro. I understand this lens is marketed towards the FX standard but I believe it is backwards compatible to DX. 1 previous mistake I don't wish to make is the lens not being able to auto focus (The motor is built into the lens I think) but I think it should work with my camera. I take it the effective focal length will be 135mm taking the crop factor into account and the F2.8 aperture remains the same ? I am currently following the below eBay auction.

Is this avenue ideal to go down or should I just purchase a purpose built DX Macro lens ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-SP...238196?hash=item2cc6955bf4:g:UoIAAOSwr9VZwB8-

Any of the FX AFS or AFP lenses will work and auto ficus on your D5500 (provided the firmware is up to date for AFP). Any third part lens with built in af motor will also work and auto focus on your D5500. The Tamron 90mm USD VC is a superb lens, the USD is the Tamron acronym for their built in motor so you'll be good to go. For Sigma it is HSM.

Back