Using Metz Mecablitz 64 AF-1 off-camera

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I'd like to use the above flash on a stand, firing into a softlighter; however, my Google-fu is apparently taking a day off as I can't seem to ascertain what wireless trigger options are available. Can anyone help?

Also (more failed Googling, and no doubt a stupid question), is there such a thing as a decent length (say, 3m) sync cable with a male PC socket at either end, in case I want to connect to the camera that way?

Not sure if it matters, but the camera is an a7RII.

Last edited:
Any of the flash remote/trigger combinations will do it, but why don't you just trigger it optically from the camera's flash?

Any of the flash remote/trigger combinations will do it, but why don't you just trigger it optically from the camera's flash?
Do you mean any manufacturer's trigger (further digging suggests that I need both a transmitter and receiver for this flash, suggesting that it has no built-in receiver)? The only thing I can find is the Metz WT-1 Wireless Trigger Kit which seems to be both bulky and expensive.

I don't have built-in flash on the camera and wouldn't want to use it if I did.

Quick update - looks like there's another system that'll work - the Hahnel Captur Remote - which again includes both a transmitter and receiver. £59, so a lot cheaper if a lot more basic. (Looks like there's a TTL version too - the Viper - but it's more than double the price.)

H156740W.jpg

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that the flash doesn't have a built in receiver as it's not very old a cost a small fortune. Still can't work out of the cable option is a goer or not, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
I don't have built-in flash on the camera and wouldn't want to use it if I did.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the camera or the flash unit. An inbuilt flash is only any good for using as a trigger IMO too. ;)

Well, the only way to get full control will be to use the trigger you mention, but if I were in your shoes I'd sell the Metz and buy Godox - problem solved and a bit of change in your pocket.

Oops! Posts crossed. That looks like it may be your answer then . . .

I use the el cheapo yongnuo RF-603 trigger. It's served me well for several years now.

I had a similar set of Godox ones, but they're no longer available now - I looked for the 603 too, but couldn't find one to fit Sony.

And - I think, anyway - a Lencarta triggering system.

Hi Tony - that trigger is for the older Lencarta studio lights (and the Safari II location light) - it's not a generic trigger - the receiver units plug in to a dedicated socket on those lights.

Your light should work with any basic centre-pin trigger such as those you found in post #4. Those Hahnel ones are very expensive for a basic trigger though - you should be looking at about £15 to £30 for basic trigger and receiver. (Looking at images of the A7RII hot shoe it appears to have a centre pin).

eg:-
or

For TTL - you'll need a trigger/receiver pair, and a flash that understands the Sony TTL protocol. Your flash does TTL on the camera, so should work ok if the receiver you mount it on is emulating the camera hot-shoe. Lencarta do sell what you need:-

Godox X1R-S receiver for Sony

Godox X-Pro-S controller for Sony
https://www.lencarta.com/godox-xpro-bundles
or
https://www.lencarta.com/godox-x2t-ttl-hss-bluetooth-wireless-2-4ghz-trigger

I prefer the X-Pro for the larger screen, however the x2t also has Bluetooth and works with your phone camera (if you like that sort of thing :p )

They are also available via Amazon, eBay etc. Just make sure you get the Sony versions of both. This controller would also allow you to control any of the current Godox lights (all of which have built in receivers, and high capacity lithium battery packs, rather than quaint old AA cells))

Reactions: Sky
Hi Tony - that trigger is for the older Lencarta studio lights (and the Safari II location light) - it's not a generic trigger - the receiver units plug in to a dedicated socket on those lights.

Your light should work with any basic centre-pin trigger such as those you found in post #4. Those Hahnel ones are very expensive for a basic trigger though - you should be looking at about £15 to £30 for basic trigger and receiver. (Looking at images of the A7RII hot shoe it appears to have a centre pin).

eg:-
or

For TTL - you'll need a trigger/receiver pair, and a flash that understands the Sony TTL protocol. Your flash does TTL on the camera, so should work ok if the receiver you mount it on is emulating the camera hot-shoe. Lencarta do sell what you need:-

Godox X1R-S receiver for Sony

Godox X-Pro-S controller for Sony
https://www.lencarta.com/godox-xpro-bundles
or
https://www.lencarta.com/godox-x2t-ttl-hss-bluetooth-wireless-2-4ghz-trigger

I prefer the X-Pro for the larger screen, however the x2t also has Bluetooth and works with your phone camera (if you like that sort of thing :p )

They are also available via Amazon, eBay etc. Just make sure you get the Sony versions of both. This controller would also allow you to control any of the current Godox lights (all of which have built in receivers, and high capacity lithium battery packs, rather than quaint old AA cells))
Owen, that’s exactly the help I was hoping for - thank you so much. I now just need to decide what combination to go for, or whether I just chop in the Metz and go for the Godox V860II + trigger instead. (I suppose I should also be asking myself whether it would be more sensible to just get a little MS300 monolite for £100 and play around with that for a while.)

Last edited:
That was a great article, Garry, and to an extent it does. My problem isn't understanding what each type of flash is good at, though - it's more a question of finding the right balance of need v want (as well as determining whether my fledgling thoughts of turning to headshot photography as a source of income are realistic).

Like many of us, I'm sure, lockdown has the effect of sending my brain into overdrive.

That was a great article, Garry, and to an extent it does. My problem isn't understanding what each type of flash is good at, though - it's more a question of finding the right balance of need v want (as well as determining whether my fledgling thoughts of turning to headshot photography as a source of income are realistic).

Like many of us, I'm sure, lockdown has the effect of sending my brain into overdrive.
That article certainly won't answer all of your questions, but hopefully may help you to think things through, and make the right type of decisions.
In "normal" times, a lot of people have earned some money from headshot photography, but relatively few manage to do well at it - it's a saturated market in which there are too many suppliers and too few consumers, and because it doesn't raise difficult technical challenges just about everyone can do it, and it tends to be a race to the bottom in terms of price, just like weddings..

Since the pandemic, the growth area is, rather obviously, product photography - by which I mean really good product photography - because when trading is difficult businesses spend more money on marketing - and the massive switch to online selling has speeded this up and created more demand. Product photography needs much more in the way of equipment, space and knowledge, but it's where the money is.

That article certainly won't answer all of your questions, but hopefully may help you to think things through, and make the right type of decisions.
In "normal" times, a lot of people have earned some money from headshot photography, but relatively few manage to do well at it - it's a saturated market in which there are too many suppliers and too few consumers, and because it doesn't raise difficult technical challenges just about everyone can do it, and it tends to be a race to the bottom in terms of price, just like weddings..

Since the pandemic, the growth area is, rather obviously, product photography - by which I mean really good product photography - because when trading is difficult businesses spend more money on marketing - and the massive switch to online selling has speeded this up and created more demand. Product photography needs much more in the way of equipment, space and knowledge, but it's where the money is.
Sage words, Garry, and I don't disagree with any of what you say (hence the careful consideration, plus a fair bit of self-flagellation for selling my Bowens studio lights when everyone I knew was telling me not to.)

You're right that a lot of people shoot headshots but not all do it well. I was a social photographer in a past life and was quite successful with my portrait work; I also have a good "formula" for headshots so I'm confident that quality of product wouldn't be an issue. If I were to pursue it I'd just need to use my contacts to get some portfolio shots together (and then make them accessible) but, again, I could do that relatively easily.

I think you're right with regard to product photography having a lot of potential. The only experience I have is with watches (I have some example shots here) but my problem would be twofold. I don't have a dedicated studio and would therefore be constrained for space, and the investment in lighting, modifiers and other accessories would be higher. I think that I'm stumped, really, hence the thoughts regarding headshots, which could also be expanded to include more general portrait work, social media profile stuff, etc.

Lots to think about, anyway, including making sure that I could incorporate it within my present business & business insurances. I'd want everything to be above board and all liabilities covered.

Last edited:
Well, accepting that I'm probably just thinking aloud here with nobody listening, it seems that I may have found a deal on some lights. They're 2x virtually unused Elinchrom BX500Ri heads (one completely unused, one used very, very lightly) together with a pair of unused Portalite softboxes, a Skysport Speed transmitter and a couple of Elinchrom fit speedrings. Quite possibly more power than I need, but the kit is literally as new and I've negotiated a really, really good price (subject to confirmation later today).

My intention will be to sell the Portalites (which are effectively new) and replace them with a 60cm collapsible beauty dish and a 30x90cm collapsible striplight (both with diffusers and grids); I can then use the Metz on its slave setting as a background light and with a folding white reflector that I've got in the cupboard will have a perfect headshot/portrait lighting setup.

I've already got an array of stands, umbrellas and backgrounds, so I reckon once I've sold the Portalites and bought the new modifiers I should be all in for around £300. That's a more than decent result given the kit is as new.

Last edited:
Well, accepting that I'm probably just thinking aloud here with nobody listening, it seems that I may have found a deal on some lights. They're 2x virtually unused Elinchrom BX500Ri heads (one completely unused, one used very, very lightly) together with a pair of unused Portalite softboxes, a Skysport Speed transmitter and a couple of Elinchrom fit speedrings. Quite possibly more power than I need, but the kit is literally as new and I've negotiated a really, really good price (subject to confirmation later today).

My intention will be to sell the Portalites (which are effectively new) and replace them with a 60cm collapsible beauty dish and a 30x90cm collapsible striplight (both with diffusers and grids); I can then use the Metz on its slave setting as a background light and with a folding white reflector that I've got in the cupboard will have a perfect headshot/portrait lighting setup.

I've already got an array of stands and umbrellas, so I reckon once I've sold the Portalits and bought the new modifiers I should be all in for around £300. That's a more than decent result given the kit is as new.
Yes, those flashes, although maybe dated, are excellent. You'll be right though to sell the Portalite softboxes, which are horrible.
Most (not all) of the Elinchrom flashes only accept umbrellas that have a 7mm shaft, your umbrellas are very likely to be the standard 8mm, so may not fit.

Yes, those flashes, although maybe dated, are excellent. You'll be right though to sell the Portalite softboxes, which are horrible.
Most (not all) of the Elinchrom flashes only accept umbrellas that have a 7mm shaft, your umbrellas are very likely to be the standard 8mm, so may not fit.
Thanks Garry, that's reassuring. I'm hoping that they have an additional 8mm umbrella mount too (I know the newer models do) but I've not found any info on line. Not the end of the world, though, and I'd rather avoid using them anyway.

Last edited:
Back