Using my old Nikon F60 film camera again

OK the film has been ordered, it should be here tomorrow. Or at least it says order now, for next day delivery. :banana:

Thanks guys for all your help, sorry for all the faffing about.
Glad you got there in the end, and welcome to the film party!

I know I am a bit late to this, but looking at those prints, are you Liverpool based? If so, you can always pop into Real Camera in the city centre and pick film up no problem at all. They have Ilford and Kodak in stock. I see you have already ordered some on the line but good to know for future reference.

I know I am a bit late to this, but looking at those prints, are you Liverpool based? If so, you can always pop into Real Camera in the city centre and pick film up no problem at all. They have Ilford and Kodak in stock. I see you have already ordered some on the line but good to know for future reference.

Over in Cheshire now, or rather on the Cheshire and Merseyside border. I might pop into the shop, as I had already planned to do so, as we are in the City Centre in a week or two anyway. The shop is only about half an hour away anyway. Their site is hard to navigate, just looking at their film now, or trying to find the page.

While I am waiting for my film to arrive, I am thinking to look for my notebook and pencil. I would have thought it was advisable to take notes of settings, when using film. I did used to do this when I first tried film, but sort of stopped halfway through. Maybe that was my problem, forgetting what settings I used.

I havent read this whole thread but I used that poundland film in my OM1 and just had it developed. It was a test role as I'd repaired and serviced the camera myself after someone gifted it to me. It was garbage and even the lab said it was too. They proceeded to tell me that it might not develop properly as they've had a lot in and they rarely yield good results from it. I'd say invest in good film as even though it was a test roll for me I wanted some of the photos I'd taken to turn out well but they never. Not to mention the fact it had cost me £9 to get it developed etc and I didn't get a useable photo.

Well the last Poundland film being sold for a £1 was Agfa Vista 200 which was Fuji C200 in disguise and Fuji would be annoyed calling their film garbage :D..ok it wasn't as good as their Superia range but still good film. The best buy at Poundland for a very short while was Agfa Vista 400 ISO and from the bar coding it seemed to be Superia 400...the jury is still out on that.
We used to have a thread here for Vista shots but can't find it.

Just running through my old camera, not firing the shutter just half pressing, just to check how fast it focuses etc. One thing I have noticed with the F60, is that I am not able to turn the focus assist lamp off, no mention of it in the manual. Just going to check once more, just in case I missed it.

Just had a quick Google of the Nikon F60 manual brings this up —-

Page 36 of the manual -

The AF-Assist Illuminator provides the necessary illumination to focus on dark subjects. The camera activates the AF-Assist Illuminator in the following conditions:
Lightly pressing the shutter release button and rotating the lens focusing ring activates the Electronic Rangefinder to indicate the focus status in the viewfinder. When the subject is in focus, u appears in the viewfinder. In manual focus, shutter can be released anytime. The Electronic Rangefinder works with most Nikkor lenses (including AF Nikkors when operated manually) having a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
1. 2.
When a AF Nikkor lens is attached, the focus mode is set to AF, and the subject is dark.
When exposure mode is not set to Landscape or Sport Program.

Just had a quick Google of the Nikon F60 manual brings this up —-

Page 36 of the manual -

The AF-Assist Illuminator provides the necessary illumination to focus on dark subjects. The camera activates the AF-Assist Illuminator in the following conditions:
Lightly pressing the shutter release button and rotating the lens focusing ring activates the Electronic Rangefinder to indicate the focus status in the viewfinder. When the subject is in focus, u appears in the viewfinder. In manual focus, shutter can be released anytime. The Electronic Rangefinder works with most Nikkor lenses (including AF Nikkors when operated manually) having a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
1. 2.
When a AF Nikkor lens is attached, the focus mode is set to AF, and the subject is dark.
When exposure mode is not set to Landscape or Sport Program.

I could not find that bit in my little manual, it is only a thin booklet.

It says it is activated automatically and cannot be cancelled. :(

Thanks for finding that bit of info.

I know I said I was not going to take any film photos indoors, but I have succumbed to a few sneaky shots. Two photos of our cat, just because he was draped over the table looking so innocent. One of the missus just passing by. Not sure if I had enough light, but I was hoping to catch the missus with light from the window.

Two photos of our cat, just because he was draped over the table looking so innocent.

Excellent, I love cats!
Mine would try kid you that they are inncocent too but be assured I know different!:LOL:

One of the missus just passing by. Not sure if I had enough light, but I was hoping to catch the missus with light from the window.
You never know it may work as a silhouette or an interesting "ghostly" image if the shutter speed was lengthy.
Either way you've shot a few frames and I would hazard a guess to say you had a bit fun in doing so??

Excellent, I love cats!
Mine would try kid you that they are inncocent too but be assured I know different!:LOL:

You never know it may work as a silhouette or an interesting "ghostly" image if the shutter speed was lengthy.
Either way you've shot a few frames and I would hazard a guess to say you had a bit fun in doing so??

I have not taken the camera outside yet, as I have had a few chores around the house. But I have been looking through the viewfinder with the 50mm 1.8D lens on, just amazed how much I can get in. Says I am getting varying speeds of anything between 1/40th 1/90th, so hopeful the three photos might not be too bad. Just have to wait and see. I will shoot the rest outdoors.

. But I have been looking through the viewfinder with the 50mm 1.8D lens on, just amazed how much I can get in.

Do you typically use 50mm with your digi kit?

If you have a crop sensored body then a 50mm focal length becomes the equivalent of 75mm of full frame ( with nikon dslrs anyway)

That may be why you can "see so much" with the F60 as it will be giving you the same FoV as a FF digi outfit with the same focal length.

Do you typically use 50mm with your digi kit?

If you have a crop sensored body then a 50mm focal length becomes the equivalent of 75mm of full frame ( with nikon dslrs anyway)

That may be why you can "see so much" with the F60 as it will be giving you the same FoV as a FF digi outfit with the same focal length.
I don't use the 50mm on my digital because it is too short, I tend to have the 35mm 1.8G stuck to my digital. I did a comparison with the 35mm on the digital, and the 50mm on the film, the image on the 35mm digital seems more compressed, but the 50mm on the film body, I can get more in, but not shrunk.

If that is the difference that full frame does, than I can see why people would want to shoot with full frame.

35mm on a nikon crop dslr will give equivalent of 52.5mm on a FF or SLR film body. ( ie, 1.5 times the acual focal length of the lens)

A 50mm would give equivalent of 75mm....Quite nice for portrature tbh.

35mm on a nikon crop dslr will give equivalent of 52.5mm on a FF or SLR film body. ( ie, 1.5 times the acual focal length of the lens)

A 50mm would give equivalent of 75mm....Quite nice for portrature tbh.

It does have a nice feel to it I must admit, I will see how I get on with it, over the coming days. It has been years since I had the camera slung around my neck. :)

Remember to take your time. As exciting as it is to get out there with the camera, think about what's in the viewfinder and make sure your settings are correct before pressing the shutter. With care and attention you'll maximise the number of shots on the roll that you're happy with.

Oh, and most importantly - enjoy yourself! (y)

Thanks.

I am letting the camera do most of the work by using aperture priority, and making sure I have got reasonably good light for the shot. Using a fast lens also, so hope I can get something I am pleased with. :)

Back