Beginner Using Nifty Fifty & Speedlite for outdoor portrait

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have done a couple of model shots recently and have been advised by the models to use my speedlite more in outdoor portrait shots. I was wondering if there are ideal settings for the combination of the 50mm 1.8 and Speedlite. I was thinking along the lines of something like F2.2 for shallow dof shots & F11 for pin point with the speedlite attached. I have another model to shoot tomorrow & would love to be able to use the 50mm with the Speedlite, as well as the 17-70 with the Speedlite.

Many Thanks
John

If your looking for a little fill when shooting out doors, a cheap and simple reflector just out of shot to add a little fill is much easier to handle than trying to get a speedlite right :)

I wonder if the same models take their cars into a garage and then tell the mechanic what to do!

Good advice above. A cheap large reflector will bring a model to life but before using models try experimenting and find what works for you.

I wonder if the same models take their cars into a garage and then tell the mechanic what to do

I'm sure theirs plenty to do, amount of folk who claim they could do what I do yet have hired me cause they just don't have time...

But back to the subject, have you not got a friend or 2 to practise on?
If your using models you've got the pressure on so hard to practise and try different ways, a friend and an afternoon with a speedlite and reflector to try all different ways in a more relaxed setting would be my choice before the next model shoot.

Back