Using Sony A 9 for movies

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have any good links on setting up the A9 for video particularly birds and can it be set up to jump from stills to video ?

No found a couple using the Sony A7III but not a lot for the Sony A9 especially for wildlife .Was wanting to know if it is possible to set the camera up where you can jump straight from stills to movies

No found a couple using the Sony A7III but not a lot for the Sony A9 especially for wildlife .Was wanting to know if it is possible to set the camera up where you can jump straight from stills to movies
If you have it on stills and you press the record button it records a movie.
If you press the shutter button does it not take a still?

If you have it on stills and you press the record button it records a movie.
If you press the shutter button does it not take a still?

I was thinking this myself, but then I'm guessing the shutter speed for birds will be far higher for stills than when switching to video? I think the video record button will maintain the same shutter speed and aperture and it's only if you use the top dial and change to movie mode that it can be set for different values? I'm not sure though, still learning myself!

I'm new to the A9 but at the moment but if I need to quickly switch to video then because I shoot in manual I just quickly change the shutter speed and then press the record button. It's not instant, but feels better than twisting the top dial until I reach video mode. It would be cool if you could setup a customer button for an exact shutter speed.

It will be similar to the A7iii, use the Memory Preset dial, for your video settings.
If you only want one preset to start with just turn it to video mode which will hold it how you had it set last time.
You might want one set up for 4K giving max resolution and cropping options and the second one at 1080p with higher FPS so you can slow it down in post.
Picture Profiles come into play for video and over-ride any creative styles set.
When learning they are a bit of a minefield though you would probably be best leaving it on standard or natural.
Your exact options I'm not sure of but recent Sonys are generally similar
To switch back to photo you can simply turn the dial to M A or S and how you last used it will still be the same there - effectively another preset.

You can let it decide most of the settings itself but typically I record 1080p at 50FPS and 1/100th shutter.
I leave ISO on Auto a lot of the time and only particularly adjust the aperture for the desired effect and/or to avoid warnings of under/over exposure on the EV meter

Last edited:
It will be similar to the A7iii, use the Memory Preset dial, for your video settings.
If you only want one preset to start with just turn it to video mode which will hold it how you had it set last time.
You might want one set up for 4K giving max resolution and cropping options and the second one at 1080p with higher FPS so you can slow it down in post.
Picture Profiles come into play for video and over-ride any creative styles set.
When learning they are a bit of a minefield though you would probably be best leaving it on standard or natural.
Your exact options I'm not sure of but recent Sonys are generally similar
To switch back to photo you can simply turn the dial to M A or S and how you last used it will still be the same there - effectively another preset.

You can let it decide most of the settings itself but typically I record 1080p at 50FPS and 1/100th shutter.
I leave ISO on Auto a lot of the time and only particularly adjust the aperture for the desired effect and/or to avoid warnings of under/over exposure on the EV meter

This. I’ve found myself that I need to use an ND filter. As the video is over exposed. Switching back to still, I mostly shoot f2.8 or faster. The ND filter left in place is no problem.
NB. Just for info I use an external mic. Deity. Sound is so much better.

Back