Using Velvia film

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
As per title, is using Velvia film any different from normal film? Are there any specific points to be careful with or to watch out for?

It's probably the film with the most saturated colours available and like all transparency films, there is no margin for error with exposure.

Steve.

The colour is what's appealing to me :LOL: Whilst I'm sure you're right about exposure, I have read about some togs over exposing by 1/3 stop to desaturate slightly for portraits, or landscapes with people in them.

Whilst I'm sure you're right about exposure, I have read about some togs over exposing by 1/3 stop to desaturate slightly for portraits, or landscapes with people in them.

That is just personal preference. When I say no margin for error, I am comparing it with negative film which, if over or under exposed, can be compensated for at the printing stage.

A transparency is intended to be the final product so any error in exposure is seen in the image.

Over exposure will blow out highlights just like it does with digital and like digital, they cannot be recovered.

You have a bit of leeway if you are scanning but not much as a transparency film doesn't have a lot of dynamic range. It's not much better than a digital sensor. A negative film though has some 'spare' range at each end so it can handle a bit of over or under exposure.

If you are going to be scanning and want saturated colours, have a go with the new Kodak Ektar 100 - a negative film with strong colours.

Steve.

Ok, thanks Steve, you've been most hepful :) I've got 3 rolls of Superior through the post this morning, so I'll give them a go first (not used my film SLR in about 2 years, so not sure if the seals are ok anyway) then maybe start playing with other films. Was just curious for now :)

The only problem I had with Velvia was that anything in the orange/red end of the spectrum was over the top.

A postbox in a rural landscape - you never noticed it till you had the film processed. Sunsets - just unreal! But I loved the greens.

That was the old Velvia, mind you. Don't know about the new.

New velvia, love it. I over expose by 1/3rd stop for my landscape work. Id rather have a slightly blown cloud than shadows that are really blocked up. A bright, vibrant slide on the light box is a joy to look at. Highly recommend shooting some velvia

I like 50, but my top tipple is 100F, I dunno why, its nothing like kodachrome....but it....is...some how, maybe it just reminds me of kodachrome :shrug:
Also I prefer it because it will do longer exposures before reciprocity failure becomes a big factor, which is useful in a scape scenario.
Jerry's right about reds, fablious for landscapes but both 50 and 100F bugger skin tones up, people are a no go.

Back