Using Vivitar 636AF Flashgun on Canon 600D

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone :)

Was donated an old Vivitar 636AF flashgun the other day and was wondering If I could use it on my 600D? I understand TTL won't work correctly but its more for the sake of playing :)

Only thing that concerns me the most is the trigger voltage. I've heard of some flashguns putting out 200+V which isn't going to play nicely with my delicate 600D :thinking::LOL:

Cheers everyone :)

Bry

I thought all DSLRs were rated at 250 volts. Nikons certainly are.

See what your manual says.

Steve.

I suspect the trigger voltage of the flash may exceed that of the body.
There is a little box of tricks you can buy that goes between camera and flash making them safe to use. Forget the name of the device though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question has come up previously, and it seems since the 350D the safe voltage is 250v.

From Tech Tips by Chuck Westfall (Canon’s US director of media and consumer relations)

"You addressed the safe sync voltage for a number of models, including the 20D, but I was wondering where I might be able to find published data on the safe sync voltages for the entire range of Canon cameras (or maybe just the 30D, as that's the body I'm using now). "

(Answer from CW) " It's likely you'll never see an official list of all Canon SLRs according to this specification, because Canon Inc. (our parent company in Japan) simply doesn't do things like that. I've been with Canon USA since 1982, so I'm in a pretty good position to know Canon Inc.'s habits. However, I'll be happy to provide you with my unofficial list:

Canon Digital SLRs safe for TCV up to 250 volts:
EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds
EOS 30D, 20D, 5D
EOS Digital Rebel XTi, XT (400D/350D)
EOS D6000/D2000, Kodak DCS560/DCS520 (circa 1998)
EOS-DCS series (circa 1995)

Canon Digital SLRs safe for TCV up to 6 volts:
EOS 10D, D60, D30
EOS Digital Rebel (300D)

Canon 35mm SLRs safe for TCV up to 250 volts:
EOS-1V, EOS-1N, EOS-1, EOS 3

Canon 35mm and IX240 SLRs safe for TCV up to 6 volts:
EOS 650, 620, 630, RT
EOS 850, 750, 700
EOS Rebel Series
EOS Elan Series
EOS 10s, A2E, A2
EOS IX, IX Lite
T90

I have seen the magic little hotshoe things (see technical me :p) that create a safe voltage but for the price, I can grab a flashgun on the bay anyway. It was more curiosity if this old one would work as a play thing in the mean time.

Im guessing that siding with caution, it might not be a good idea to use it, :(

Makes it even more interesting cheers Gary...

Some are sayin gthe EOS600D has a safe voltage of 6. some saying 250 :/

It's worth noting for anyone else reading this that the 250v specified for Canon bodies is via the PC sync port. The hotshoe and PC are not connected directly. On Nikon bodies the sync contacts for PC and hotshoe are in parallel and will take the 250v across either set of contacts.

Bob

It's worth noting for anyone else reading this that the 250v specified for Canon bodies is via the PC sync port. The hotshoe and PC are not connected directly.
Bob

That isn't the way I have seen it reported (for example in the Chuck Westfall post and follow ups I've read).

I've also used flashes with higher voltages with a 20D, 30D, 40d, 400D, 500D and 600D. I've never had a malfunction or problem, from memory the highest I've used was around 200v when measured.

Again fairly conflicting stuff here, bottom line is, do we think its safe or should I just let it be? :) - Bry :)

That isn't the way I have seen it reported (for example in the Chuck Westfall post and follow ups I've read).

I've also used flashes with higher voltages with a 20D, 30D, 40d, 400D, 500D and 600D. I've never had a malfunction or problem, from memory the highest I've used was around 200v when measured.

It may well be reported differently but I was basing my warning on Canon's user manual and a quick measurement to confirm that the PC sync outlet and hot shoe contacts are not directly connected.

The 5D2 manual (for example) states;

"Do not connect to the camera's PC terminal any flash unit requiring 250v or more"
"Do not attach a high voltage flash unit on the camera's hot shoe"

Bob

I personally think that the Canon warning is more to do witrh a potential problem of sliding a charged flash into the hot shoe and having the centre contact momentarily touch one of the other contacts carrying control signals and causing damage.

Only a complete idiot of a designer would use a circuit which could be damaged by existing flashes when a component to handle it safely can be bought for almost nothing..

If an opto thyristor is used, it's difficult to find one rated lower than 250v and most are 400v. I suspect that the 400v device is used in most cameras, conservatively rated at 250v.

This is certainly the case with the trigger component in Cactus radio triggers. I have not taken any cameras apart to see what they use but I would be surprised if they didn't use something similar.

The Canon's hot shoe and PC contacts might not be connected together but it's hard to believe that they would have two different designs of circuit with different voltage capacity.

Steve.

Last edited:
I have the Vivitar 636AF TTL Dedicated. It has an output of 7 volt. Check some of the other newer flashes that may have a lower voltage (eg. YongNuo YN-560 III has output of 3.3 volts). Wein sells an adapter to fit on your hotshoe to reduce voltage. Sells on amazon for $49.00.

I have the 636af too. As said, it is reported to have a trigger voltage of 6v, although I've tried 2 separate brands of Flash trigger with it and it won't fire, so I suspect that voltage may not be accurate (I don't have a voltmeter to measure it myself).

Absolutely pointless buying a safe sync when you could buy a yongnuo flash for the same price

Back