USS Gerald R Ford

Name
Steve Webb
Edit My Images
Yes
The worlds largest warship moored in The Solent off Stokes Bay near Portsmouth, Wednesday 16th November. Awful weather with some torrential downpours made for poor light, though the sun did poke through for a few minutes. All photos taken from shore with my Tamron 150-600mm lens, except the first one taken with my Nikon 18-140mm.

USS Gerald R Ford by Stephen Webb, on Flickr

Probably more aircraft on that one ship than our whole RAF! Interesting images, thanks for sharing

Very nice set of captures Steve, liking all of these pic's very much.

Shame it wasn't a nicer day but interesting never the less. That is a truly massive bit of hardware isn't it, crazy how much the world spends on defence.

Probably more aircraft on that one ship than our whole RAF! Interesting images, thanks for sharing
Yes, can't help feeling too many eggs in one basket though.

Great photos though :)

I remember, about 40 years ago in Portsmouth, watching a USA aircraft carrier coming into port. We were sat having a pint outside the Old Still pub and it was a bit like the end of Close Encounters when all the smaller ships came in first and then this massive thing glided past us and you were just taken aback at the sheer size of it.

Disappointingly it was sad to see the British ships come in with the crew just milling around but when the carrier came in every deck was lined with the crew saluting. Un-forgettable, although I have forgotten the ships name.

Shame it wasn't a nicer day but interesting never the less. That is a truly massive bit of hardware isn't it, crazy how much the world spends on defence.
to be honest, had it been a nicer day it would have been more difficult to photograph as the sun would have been directly behind it

I remember, about 40 years ago in Portsmouth, watching a USA aircraft carrier coming into port. We were sat having a pint outside the Old Still pub and it was a bit like the end of Close Encounters when all the smaller ships came in first and then this massive thing glided past us and you were just taken aback at the sheer size of it.

Disappointingly it was sad to see the British ships come in with the crew just milling around but when the carrier came in every deck was lined with the crew saluting. Un-forgettable, although I have forgotten the ships name.
It was probably one of the USM assault ships, I went on a couple in port back in the early 80's. The USN carriers are too big to get into port at Portsmouth, that's why they moor up in The Solent off Stokes Bay

Back