UV Filter question - do I need t replace it?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I had a slight mishap on holiday last week where while cleaning my lens I dropped the UV Filter I had removed (at least it wasn't the lens). This is simply a Hoya UV Filter that I have screwed onto the lens for protection. Since I dropped this I have noticed that the glass of the filter is loose within the frame.

There are no marks on the glass and no apparent issues with the filter except for the loose fitting glass.

my question is do I need to replace the filter? my concern is that the loose fitting glass could allow dust to enter under the filter, however I'd rather not replace the filter if not required.

Any thought would be appreciated. thanks

Test the lens with and without the filter, if you see a difference in the shots then get a new one, otherwise you're fine.

lens protection only. I tried with and without shots and could see a difference (better without) and have never used one since. lens hood and a bit of care is enough protection for me.

lens protection only. I tried with and without shots and could see a difference (better without) and have never used one since. lens hood and a bit of care is enough protection for me.

Fair comment!
That's interesting. I've always used one (well since the man in Jessops said it was almost ignorant NOT to use one LOL!!)

Thanks for the advice.
Might just ditch mine then (y)

Some of us never use UV filters ;)

I took all my Hoya pro UV filters off on your advice, what a huge difference in quality.............(y)

I got this annoying habit of putting cheap £5 filters from ebay on my lenses!!!
(Not anymore!)

Digital sensors are almost immune to UV (2-3% capture at the most) so it's a 'protection only' issue.....unless you use cheap ones, then it's protection and image degradation.

Bob

Just on the usage of UV filters I always used to use one but now only use one when I think its completely necessary for protection, coastal locations with lots of sea spray/sand or very dusty environments.
I keep the lens hood in place all the time too

simon

how much does the image degrade though?, is it enough to risk the lens :p

I think it's simply down to the quality of the filter....multi-coated perform much better and don't suffer some the internal reflections seen with cheapies.

It must be a simple fact that every piece of extra glass in the light path will lose you something.....the same reason that IS lenses don't match their non-IS equivalents when it comes to resolving power.

Bob

Back