V8 Vantage - Ribblehead and Buttertubs

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked to shoot a V8 Vantage that a friends father bought for himself as a 60th birthday present a few months ago. Met up in the Yorkshire Dales, in the Buttertubs pass & Ribblehead area, to shoot some images of his pride and joy.

It was a beautiful day - a bit too beautiful, if I'm honest - extremely bright sunshine and barely a cloud in the sky, meant not much in the way of dramatic skies or stunning sunsets, but I was reasonably happy with what I shot...

V8 Vantage - Ribblehead by Martyn Lewis, on Flickr

A few more over on flickr

These are fantastic!

1, Jaw dropping comp and PP which would look quite at home in the brochure!
2, not so keep on the comp or dark car
3, Another Jaw dropper, pos my fav as it captures the experience of actually driving the thing rather than just starring at it.
4, too much gravel in it for me

Great work though. I'm amazed at how quiet it is there too, I've never seen it so quiet!

No.1 for me, lovely composition. Simple skies work fine.

Really like #1 and #3
2 would be my choice but due to car being blue and not enough lit it's not as awesome as 1.
4 just doesn't work for me, sorry!

#1 should be printed for him.
Thanks for sharing and what an awesome car!

Cheers Guys.

Shot 1 was speedlight (580EXII) lit, then composited in PS. I've got some portable strobes, but didn't have the time to set up and play with them in reality. Shooting RAW helps though doesn't it - managed to recover a lot of detail in the car against the strongly lit backround - It's definitely my favourite from the set, along with image 3 here.

Ta for the feedback.

I believe he's negotiating on some wall "real estate" with his wife... :LOL:
Probably end up in the downstairs loo, behind the door! :bonk:

Nowt wrong wit' back o' t' s***'ouse door as a spot! It's what gets looked at a lot when there's little else to see! Pretty sure that a lot of 2nd Oscars get stuck on the shelf over the cistern since that's where the thing's most likely to be seen.

no 1 a bit blown ! a grad filter may have helped here
also a bit of lens flare showing

Last edited:
I think no 1 is stunning

Superb shots. Suppose you could clone out the flare on the road if you were being harsh but I like it as is. All photos are greataand the scale is spot on.

Is 3 an actual panning shot or edited to look like one? Love it!!!!

Great set, Martyn. Love 1 & 3.

also a bit of light flare showing

On a technical level you're right but I think the general response to this pic in particular shows that a photo can be technically flawed but emotionally very strong.

also a bit of light flare showing

+1. what he said, on my monitor the sun looks like a huge blob in what is a fantastic location shot of a lovely looking car,

no.2 i like it but too much road, my opinion though

no.3 is my favorite, captures exactly what everyone who wants to drive one of these things would do if they should get their hands on it, lovely light and pp

no.4 sky blown again in the left corner, but composition is there

Back