Valspar paint from b&q any good?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Am about to embark on painting the house. Normally have used Dulux paint having had a bad time with cheap paint in the past (needed more than 3 coats!)

This stuff looked good in b&q. Thousands of colors (it's made up there and then a bit like squash!), can add glitter to it for daughters room, the premium one is scrubable so I will stress less when the kids mess up the walls. Anything not to like about it?

Last time I used a B&Q own brand paint I put on 3 coats - and then covered it with a coat of Dulux Once because I wanted it to actually be the same colour across the whole wall :)

When I buy paint I tend to get ready mixed so I can take the spare can back - with mix to order you won't be able to get a refund if you over order. The Valspar ready mix on their website is actually more expensive than Dulux - I'd get some Dulux Endurance in a shade that's close enough rather than muck about.

Valspar isn't B&Q's own brand they just mix the pigments into it instore.

I used it in our bedroom as we couldn't find a ready mixed alternative. It's pretty good paint imo & would say it's as good as Dulux standard emulsion.

I used the Dulux endurance in our hallway & found it excellent.

VALSPAR Paint, in the long ago days of my youth, I`m 73.

Mates used to paint their Cars, Austin Ruby, Morris 10, Ford Pop, etc with that!!

Came up nice.

I used it once, both emulsion and "gloss" and wouldn't use it again, just didn't get the quality or coverage that you get from Dulux or Crown. You can get Dulux mixed up to any colour you want.

Valspar isn't B&Q's own brand they just mix the pigments into it instore.

Yeah I know. I'm just suspicious seeing in the UK it's only sold in B&Q. After all, Dulux is so good it's sold everywhere :)

And yes, I'm about to pop open a 10 litre of Leyland Trade off of Screwfix :D

Used valspar bathroom paint recently, seems just as good as the dulux paint I used elsewhere in the house.

Have recently used dulux trade paint from one of their decorator centres and that is better than the consumer dulux stuff you get from any of the sheds.

I bought the Valspar premium mix for the walls in the house...... fantastic stuff. One coat hid any dark marks and I doubt I'd use anything else now, although can't speak for the 'standard' mix.

I bought the Valspar premium mix for the walls in the house...... fantastic stuff. One coat hid any dark marks and I doubt I'd use anything else now, although can't speak for the 'standard' mix.

Thanks, thats the stuff I am looking to get.

IMHO Valspar is brilliant.
I've always bought Dulux paint and when we moved into our current house I repainted the entire inside with Dulux. Two of the walls where changed from a mushroom colour to a light yellow. It took me 4-5 coats to cover.

My sons bedroom light blue walls and one dark blue wall. I knew Dulux would cost a fortune to cover it so I spoke to the lady in B&Q and she recommended Valspar. I bought a small tester pot for a couple of quid and tried it on the dark blue wall. The first coat almost covered and the second coat completed it. It covered the light blue walls in one coat. I went back to B&Q, got one 5L pot and changed the room to mint green in an afternoon.

I'll never buy Dulux again and Valspar will be my preferred option.

Last edited:
Valspar is one of the top selling paints in the US nowadays. No idea if the formulation is the same over here though, we've got a lot more restrictions on what they can put in it due to EU rulings. It seems to get very mixed reviews on the B&Q site.

I've always used Dulux but have switched to their trade range over the last couple of years. You have to go to a decorators merchant to buy it but it's so much better than anything you can buy from the diy sheds. Well worth the extra outlay, goes on smoothly and covers better.

Last edited:
No complaints here, we used it on the staircase and also a small bathroom without any issue at all. Covered well, colour actually matched the swatch from the display once on the wall, which I didn't think it would as looked a lot darker in the tin.

I have used the scrubbable one in my hall. I've had to scrub it a few times due to mucky kids and mess has come off no problem. I will definitely use again.

Valspar premium is a bit more expensive than the likes of Dulux and Crown but it covers really well. Think its about £45 for a 5L tin but its worth it. Even better though if you want to push the boat out is Farrow and Ball, it leaves the rest including Valspar standing bit more expensive at £65-£75 for 5L but lovely paint.

Last edited:
VALSPAR Paint, in the long ago days of my youth, I`m 73.

Mates used to paint their Cars, Austin Ruby, Morris 10, Ford Pop, etc with that!!

Came up nice.

That was the Valspar coachpaint!! My brother did a Moggy Minor with it........

IF YOU want good quality paint go to a trade supplier Paint MADE to a price for large retail DIY stores is never going to be as good as the trade stuff....Be prepared though quality trade paint is not cheap, its all about saving time with trade paint and that means more pigment in the base paint to make is cover well and often in one coat.

We love Valspar paint. Loads of colours applies well and is quite accurate to the colour cards.

My part time job since I went back into education is in b&q. I work in the paint desk and have no first hand experience of valspar apart from selling it but no one to my knowledge has ever returned to complain about it. It's very expensive though.

Have so far done the two kids rooms, upstairs and mid landings... so far quite impressed with it. Goes on well and looks great.

I've only bought it once and I wouldn't buy it again. The colour came out nowhere near what it was supposed to.

I'll only use Little Greene Paint co now. Excellent coverage and excellent colours.......bit pricey though but you get what you pay for!

The best paint I've ever used is mcpherson trade paint. One coat covers almost anything. It's great. That's why I've never tried valspar because why change?

I know everybody was interested in my experience with Leyland paint so here's my review: 1st coat took *ages* to dry, but it covered better than any other paint I've ever used. Actually seriously thought about not doing a second coat.

Best of all, it comes in both colours :D

Just been told b and q are adding another range from a distributor they've been trying to get on board for a decade. Can't for the life of me remember the name though. Two people's surnames. My memory is like a sieve.

Back