Variable ND filters

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Looking to do a bit more video with the Nikon Z’s and M4/3 bodies, and pretty sure after today I need to invest in a variable ND filter to control the exposure to keep the shutter angle where it needs to be.

seems like there’s a overwhelming array of them at different prices with all sorts of claims for neutrality and not having the dreaded X pattern at the heaviest settings etc.

Does anyon have any real world recommendations please?

I have worked my way up through various variable ND's and they have all had issues vignetting and colour shifts with the exception of the Polarpro 2-5, I found the prices a bit steep though. If you want to spend less either accept some vignetting and X pattern issues or get a couple of standard ND's. It's good to buy the 82mm versions and use step rings even if you don't need the the size as they are same price as the smaller versions.

When I bought mine, after some research I opted for B+W 77mm, but it’s expensive, like £150!

The dreaded X-pattern only occurs with wide-angle lenses and at the extreme end of a wide density range, like eight or nine stops.

Some more recent vari-ND filters have a built-in ND component of maybe three stops, plus a limited variable density range of say five stops. That way they can achieve eight stops total while still retaining a decent variable capability, but avoid getting into the X-pattern zone.

Back