Various birds - amateur shots

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
These are some pics I've taken over the past week.

Just wanted some general feedback (sadly there aren't any spectacular birds! Or pictures for that matter! :bang:)

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

Thanks all

I really like #5 - it's screaming for a B&W conversion.
The rest are just pretty average 'snaps' and the Robin one needs to go in the recycle bin.

I might give #5 a little play to see what happens then!

Yeah, the Robin just kind of happened! :p

Any tips for the future?

Thanks!

You need to sharpen images that you post on the web, compression and size reduction does them no favours.

1 - Bird is bang in the middle of the shot, crop the dead space behind it, and add that to the space in front of it.

2 & 3 - Nice setting, make sure you get the eye in focus

4 - The eye is well out of focus, nothing can be done to rescue this one

5 - Really like this one, could benefit from a bit of a sharpen

6 - Like this one as well, straighten the horizon and give it a bit of a sharpen.

Always focus on the birds eye

Make sure that the sun is behind you

1/250 sec is the minimum shutter speed for static birds, ideally go for 1/500, in flight 1/1000 minimum

An aperture of f7.1 will give a bit more depth of focus, this will improve the sharpness of your lens, and give some latitude for focus error / subject moving.

If the light starts going, open up the aperture before slowing the shutter speed.

ISO set to allow the above settings (Auto if you have a Nikon), do not worry about noise, there is always 'noiseware' (y)

Practice :D

Cool thanks! They're handy tips!

I was trying to keep the iso down at 400 so my aperture was 5.6 most of the time! I'll try bumping it up to 800 next time!

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string question" but how much sharpening should I add? Should I add the same amount if I want to print any off?

Practice is something I will be doing lots of!

Cool thanks! They're handy tips!

I was trying to keep the iso down at 400 so my aperture was 5.6 most of the time! I'll try bumping it up to 800 next time!

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string question" but how much sharpening should I add? Should I add the same amount if I want to print any off?

Practice is something I will be doing lots of!

Some useful tips in this thread LINK including one of mine on sharpening - post #14

Back