Various Portraits & Cactus Radio Trigger Antics

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

After experiencing the quite expected unreliability of the very cheap and cheerful Cactus triggers, I have opted for a set of pocket wizards. See previous thread for the colourful troubles:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49034

But here are a beginners efforts with speedlights and the cactus triggers from gadget infinity. I'm having lots of fun learning and looking forward to a more experienced horizon. I still can't get over the fact that I can carry all of the gear on my own and on a bus too! I can't wait for the wizards to arrive!

All the best.

Team1.jpg

SkaterPortrait1.jpg

MIKKOSTENBERGPORTRAIT.jpg

These don't look like a beginners work to me, love the rim lighting.

On the second photo how far behind was the flash, I cant see any light stand in the background.

Julian

These don't look like a beginners work to me, love the rim lighting.

On the second photo how far behind was the flash, I cant see any light stand in the background.

Julian

Hey thanks Julian,

I've had the a three trigger set up for a few weeks now, did my first job with it over the weekend but been reading up and practising quite alot. I used to hire a couple of 2500w fresnels when I had teams to shoot but now I just have a stands and umbrella's bag and my camera bag! It's great!
The back light flash was about 8 feet away in the ice skating team image.
It was such time sensitive job, I literally had three attempts at each team shot, the client has a very limited time space available for me to get all the kids photo's done before their rehearsal slot runs out and a bunch of ice hockey teams are impatiently waiting to get onto the ice.
It's not a job that a lot of folk would consider as the company have such a tiny budget anyway without paying for photographers. The pay isn't much and they don't have too high an expectation of the quality. I like working with them, we have become friends, I get to experiment, learn and get paid a little too.
I should of had the backlight on a slightly lower output, I realised after a couple of team shots but didn't have the time to make any adjustments. Ya live and learn.
Some of the kids had they're eyes shut in some photo's but the team captain said 'move on to the next team anyway'! 27 teams done in under 40 minutes! and I didn't slip on my backside once!

Cheers for the kind words.

All the best

Back