Vegas movie maker 11 problem

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Just purchased Movie Maker 11 for use on a Win XP machine. The software puts projects together ok but won't allow me to 'render' or 'make movie'. The disc came with build 11.0.256 and I've tried downloading the latest build 11.0.295. I've also registered the software to ensure full functionality. The Win XP computer is old but meets the software minimum requirements.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this software?

Are you getting a specific error message? or is the button greyed out? or does pressing the button fail to result in an action? Can you get into the Make Movie menu, and if so what options does it offer? - I use Movie Studio HD 11 but I assume they are broadly similar. A better description of what you mean by "won't allow" is always useful for diagnosis.

I get the same error message as soon as I try to 'render as' or 'make movie'. The error message is 'an exception occurred while creating the media file. Exception thrown by method called'.

I thought it might be related to the trial version I had downloaded even though I had uninstalled it before loading the bought version. Today I've restored the computer to a point before I loaded the trial version. Then I deleted all folders, files and registry entries containing the word Vegas just to make sure that there were no leftovers. I've reinstalled the software but the problem's still the same.

It's obviously my computer that's the problem because I've tried two different build numbers and both show the same symptom.

It is Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 by the way.

Are you using XP 32 or 64 bit?

How much RAM is in you machine?

It's XP Home Edition so I'm assuming that's 32 bit. The computer has 3GB of RAM which exceeds the minimum spec of the software.

Googling the error message (always a good place to start) suggests you aren't the only person with this problem. Several similar posts, no answers that I can see.

Richard, can you expand on your workflow, what file format are you putting in to your project, what are you trying to render to.

Do your project settings match your source files.

I did Google the problem and found several reports of an identical problem but with no solutions offered. I've also logged a call with Sony software support. They've acknowledged my email but offered no advice.

So far I've tried making movies using video clips from a variety of sources. Some are .AVI format from older p&s cameras and some are AVCHD files from a brand new Panasonic camcorder. I've been careful not to mix the clips from different cameras in case its one particular camera that's the problem. As a final test I created a project using only graphics contained within the Vegas software. If they came with the software they've got to be compatible. Despite this I still couldn't render.

I only use the computer for photo and video editing so there's not much additional software on it. I've reloaded a fresh install of XP last night. As soon as it finishes with all the million and one updates it needs I'll reload the Vegas software. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Cheers

A couple of things to try if your re-install doesn't work.

Make sure your project is on a different hard drive to the O/S

Set the amount of RAM reserved for dynamic Ram preview to 0 when rendering (in Vegas project settings)

Good news! Reinstalling XP seems to have resolved the problem. I can now render and make movies using the supplied build 11.0.256. Now all I've got to do is upgrade to build 11.0.295, reinstall PSE7 and Microsoft ICE and hope that none of the above corrupts my newly working Vegas software.

I'm satisfied that the problem is resolved but frustrated that it took the nuclear option of a rebuild to sort it out. 5 hours of my time seems excessive to install a cheap, 'fun' bit of software. It does look like a promising bit of kit though so I'll undoubtedly forgive it soon.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. You were a lot more helpful than Sony's software support team who never got back to me. I really appreciate the assistance.

Cheers

when i was using sony vegas pro 10 it would throw an error up when trying to render the error was down to available RAM ( not the total ram in the pc ) if things havn't changed too much vegas is a 32bit program and the maximum amount of RAM it can look at is the first 2gb which unfortunatly includes the memory your operating system and other programs reside in leaving not much left for vegas
maybe re installing the operating system has freed up enough memory by getting rid of the bloat other programs tend to use
there are a couple of workarounds i have discovered one is to run a program called game booster http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html that tries to free up as much memory and resources as it can
you would run this before running the vegas software
another method is to reduce the amount of cpu threads that vegas uses to render ( you'l find the option within the options / preferences /video tab ) this slows down the rendering but sometimes is the only way to get it to render

if your problem isn't related to the above it won't really help you but it certainly helped me and might be useful for other who have come across the same problem

Back