Review Velbon Tripod

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Having sold my trusty tripod thinking I never used it so get rid I dont really need one, and getting a phone call to do an event and mainly the family portraits I decided to go for either a Redsnapper or a Velbon as the spec are similar but prices vary a little but only a little so I was going to order a Redsnapper but having seen a few posts here saying they are brilliant but have delays on postage or availability I went the Velbon route and wont quote Redsnapper anymore as I have never used one so can't really compare as its unfair as they to get great reviews.......

I bought the Velbon Sherpa 550R purely on a photo and a price from an ebay company I have used before and trust 100% as I needed the tripod the very next day and early so I could go to the Candlelighters event, as we were setting off at 08:00am sat it arrived at 08:03am as promised and free delivery at the buy now price (ordered friday at 3:30pm) I ordered by phone and paid by card over the phone and it only cost £65.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Anyway on to the tripod, It is very sturdy the top tubes are a little large more like small scaffolding tubes bonded into a tripod platform like no other I have seen as one arm seems a little offset, but this is for a reason explained later.

It is a full size tripod standing 128cm tall without the extension and 154cm extended, now I wouldnt think an extended tripod would be sturdy but this one definately is, it doesnt feel as if its been extended but then again if you look at the engineering that has gone into making this you will see why its so sturdy.
The legs are at least a bit weird to remember ......you must use this with the leg with the sticker on to your left as the two rear legs are shorter than the front leg but the front leg os offset (remember first paragraph)this is for us who use long heavy lenses its a balance thing they have added but dont worry if you have to go round 360degrees this tripod has it all figured, the back legs are splayed out enough to stop it all crashing down and not get in the way, very well thought out and maybe another Italian company should do something like this.
Functionallity is just the dogs..... what do you want it to do.
Lay flat... yes it does
Invert the extension and head....yes it does
Each leg to act on its own at any angle.... yes it does that too

DSC_0004-1.jpg

The only thing it doesnt do is move the legs sideways but who really needs thar with the functionality it has.

DSC_0005.jpg

Now on to the head,

it is a lightweight alloy job that goes from portrait to landscape like all other heads but it has an ace to play over all heads in the sub £100 category it has the smothest one twist action lever for pan and tilt I have ever used and I have had some great Manfrotto heads but never anything like this .....just so smooth and locks at a slight twist of the wrist with no effort this is going to be with me for a long time.

If you are wanting a great tripod and dont want to spend the earth .....Velbon Sherpa 550R....£65 inc head and delivery from

Aspens of Hereford, a most trusted ebay shop....abit like Greys but cheaper

Last edited:
sorry about the photos being portrait .....photobucket is playing games with me

Thanks Andy and please ignore my typos lol and what has pb done again

Photos look fine to me here. Thanks for posting this :)

A quick edit

For pro users and us who use grips, the locking mech that normally gets in the way of the grip (the landscape portrait adjuster) can ne taken out and put on the front so it does not foul.
Another plus for this one
Also once the head is in the upside down position you can wind it down to its lowest level without fear of it going to far and crashing to earth due to 2 stainless steel pins stopping it going all the way, nice touch too.

Last edited:
i bought a similar velbon tri pod and love it very sturdy take a battery and a good sized lens and is solid with both on i paid £50.00 from jacobs and dont regret buying it at all i will always keep it even as a spare

nice review aswell

I bought a velbon tripod , i know what you mean regarding the head its a very good action

Back